who is liable for cleaning

jonesjones

hi all

have had a tennant for the last eight years unfortunally he has died

rent was being paid by the local council

my tennant had a very big drinking problem bigger than i was aware having gone into the flat its in a terriable state if i said they were five hundred bottle of gin ect ect in the cupboards in suite cases every where and he was not the cleanest of people

my question is ;

can I charge his estate for cleaning!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can i claim his rent from the council for a peroid for the cleaning of the accomadation

or am I being a bad landlord for evan asking these questions

any c omments

thanks

jones

In theory you should have inspected your property regularly and if noticed poor state of cleaning then advised the council. You did not do this and so you should clear the flat.

Could be worth contacting the council or solicitor dealing with deceased's estate but don't hold your breath for a good outcome.

Mortitia

r

In theory you should have inspected your property regularly and if noticed poor state of cleaning then advised the council. You did not do this and so you should clear the flat.

Could be worth contacting the council or solicitor dealing with deceased's estate but don't hold your breath for a good outcome.

Mortitia

ty you for your comments yes there should have been things said and done the state of the flat had gone to far for me to do anything ie he was told on many occassions to clean and remove rubbish but to no avail and my attitude was rent is coming in then its his way of living but thank you for your comments

• 2 weeks later...

Well, for me, you should have explained to him your rules or the conditions before accepting him. That is normal. Having a frequent conversation with that person is also good so that he can listen to your side and at the same time will understand anything about how you are being conscious with your homes cleanliness.

Archived