Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About bristol1

  • Rank
  1. Hi Wyattlucy As landlord you are responsible for fixing the problem (as it was not of your tenants making)and this probably includes the electricity costs of drying the flat out. If the flat is uninhabitable and you have offered him alternative accommodation which he has accepted I do not think he can refuse to pay you rent. If he has to give a months notice he should pay rent for the whole of that month whether or not he chooses to live there or leave early. This assumes that he has somewhere acceptable to live. Can he really live in the flat with a damp concrete floor and without the floor finish? Bristol1
  2. I think you need to concentrate on making the best case possible through the ADR to get as much of your deposit back as possible and write anything else off to experience. Try to claim for the leak and the window off your insurers. If you do go through the ADR this will at least look like you have been reasonable. Claim for rubbish disposal costs Claim for the damages not covered by your insurance, including the window if the insurers won't pay for it Claim for unpaid rent Hopefully that will all add up to at least your deposit, which with any luck you will get back. No, the tenants can't claim a rent reduction after they have moved out if they had previously said they were happy living in the flat as it was. Make sure you tell the ADR that they were happy to continue living in the flat, Good luck Bristol1
  3. Hi Mortitia Thanks for that. I am now in the process of writing to mother and daughter giving a time limit and threatening to take action through the small claims court Bristol1
  4. Hi Tim Thanks for that. There is some good advice in your reply which I will take when I write to the mother. Bristol1
  5. Hi Mel Thanks for the reply. I don't think I can legally re-let the room. She still has keys, her stuff is there and she has not told me she is leaving. However I think your advice to go after the mother (who is a guarantor) and the tenant with recorded letters threatening a County Court Judgement and/or debt collectors is good advice. Also a CCJ against them will affect their credit rating. Bristol1
  6. Hi Tim Thanks for the reply I have spoken to the other tenants - they do not know what is going on and are also owed money for bills. I have put some pressure on the other tenants but do not want to overdo it in case they withold their last months (or even more) rent. I think the best course for the momement is to have a go at the tenant again and her mother. Bristol1
  7. We are landlords letting to students and one of our students has just walked out half way through her tenancy and neither she nor her mother will answer phone calls or letters. I know that we can make a claim through the Small Claims Court for unpaid rent, but do not know whether we should start proceedings now whilst she owes us two or three months rent (can we claim for future rent which is not due yet but looks certain to be unpaid?) or do we wait until July when the tenancy is due to end and then claim for all unpaid rent? The agreement is an assured shorthold tenancy with all 4 tenants jointly liable. Do we make the claim against all the tenants or just the defaulting tenant? If we just go for the defaulting tenant now, do we have an option of subsequently going after all the tenants?
  • Create New...