Recommended on-line property web sites? (New to the game)

BUCK

I have read through the onlet website and very good it seems too , but when you add all the extras together it is not a lot less than I am charged through my local letting agent who also advertises on Rightmoves and Zoopla (we dont get Gumtree here ), I pay £300 for find a Tenant with rent guarantee for 6 months (I renew after that ) and reference. I do my own Tenancy Agreement and pay an inventory clerk to do the inventory (10%of rent ),I think I will stay with my local ARLA agent as they are local and as I have one to put to market next week will stay where I have been dealing for the last 10 years.

I have read through the onlet website and very good it seems too , but when you add all the extras together it is not a lot less than I am charged through my local letting agent who also advertises on Rightmoves and Zoopla (we dont get Gumtree here ), I pay £300 for find a Tenant with rent guarantee for 6 months (I renew after that ) and reference. I do my own Tenancy Agreement and pay an inventory clerk to do the inventory (10%of rent ),I think I will stay with my local ARLA agent as they are local and as I have one to put to market next week will stay where I have been dealing for the last 10 years.

Thanks for the input, out of interest, do you pay the £300 every 6 months? or just a portion because you are renewing

Thanks for the input, out of interest, do you pay the £300 every 6 months? or just a portion because you are renewing

If you have the same sourced LA tenant in you let out property there is no requirement for you to pay periodic LA's / EA's renewal fees.

It is illegal to do so by your EA or LA.

On this Forum we have had many others ask the same question and armed with the Foxtons case the LA has had to refund the Landlord's renewal fees as they were not aware of this fact.

Google Foxtons Law Case. Tenant renewals for the Judges report on the Foxton's Law Suit.

If you have the same sourced LA tenant in you let out property there is no requirement for you to pay periodic LA's / EA's renewal fees.

It is illegal to do so by your EA or LA.

On this Forum we have had many others ask the same question and armed with the Foxtons case the LA has had to refund the Landlord's renewal fees as they were not aware of this fact.

Google Foxtons Law Case. Tenant renewals for the Judges report on the Foxton's Law Suit.

Thanks for this, its good to know

Going back to the original post Buck............ the whole idea of advertising is to get as many SUITABLE tenants as possible to view your property. In London I have had success with UPAD but I put in my advert the sort of person (ie young professional working couple) I was looking for rather than take all comers.

You will soon find if you don't set up some barriers and requirements you will be inundated with applicants and you may make the wrong decision. Seeing large amounts of prospective tenants would not be what I would want.

At the other end most people wanting to rent know where to look - Rightmove or Zoopla have to be the favourites.

Mortitia

Going back to the original post Buck............ the whole idea of advertising is to get as many SUITABLE tenants as possible to view your property. In London I have had success with UPAD but I put in my advert the sort of person (ie young professional working couple) I was looking for rather than take all comers.

You will soon find if you don't set up some barriers and requirements you will be inundated with applicants and you may make the wrong decision. Seeing large amounts of prospective tenants would not be what I would want.

At the other end most people wanting to rent know where to look - Rightmove or Zoopla have to be the favourites.

Mortitia

Hi Mortitia

As a private landlord I have not been able to put my property on Rightmove and have to go through an agent to get on there, so I suppose, again back to Buck's original question, which I must say has provoked much discussion about recommending and not recommending, and also being new here I am almost too afraid to ask in case, Richlist, Grampa, Melboy and you yourself the scary straight talking Mortitia come out to get me...................... :ph34r:

Just kidding, life's too short to take it all so seriously.

So here's my question, which was Buck's original post that went into too much debate on local agents vs online agents (not the original question of recommendation for an online agent) if someone like myself should want to go with an online property website/agent would anyone have any concerns or bad press about;

a) Propertylettings

B) Onlet

c) Upad

Sorry if I have missed anyone out, but I think that was it on the recommendation front so far.

I have been ripped off by my local agents, Who also can't be ar*** and don't care once they have my money. Melboy's post on renewal fees has just about done me in, so much reading to do, thanks Melboy by the way.

So I am looking at other options

Thanks for all of your input

Dare i say it

Sorry can't resist..........

Old and new!! :blink:

Hi Mortitia

As a private landlord I have not been able to put my property on Rightmove and have to go through an agent to get on there, so I suppose, again back to Buck's original question, which I must say has provoked much discussion about recommending and not recommending, and also being new here I am almost too afraid to ask in case, Richlist, Grampa, Melboy and you yourself the scary straight talking Mortitia come out to get me...................... :ph34r:

Just kidding, life's too short to take it all so seriously.

So here's my question, which was Buck's original post that went into too much debate on local agents vs online agents (not the original question of recommendation for an online agent) if someone like myself should want to go with an online property website/agent would anyone have any concerns or bad press about;

a) Propertylettings

B) Onlet

c) Upad

Sorry if I have missed anyone out, but I think that was it on the recommendation front so far.

I have been ripped off by my local agents, Who also can't be ar*** and don't care once they have my money. Melboy's post on renewal fees has just about done me in, so much reading to do, thanks Melboy by the way.

So I am looking at other options

Thanks for all of your input

Dare i say it

Sorry can't resist..........

Old and new!! :blink:

Wooooooooooooooo, Something odd here I posted a) B) c)... why has some face with glasses come up on my post alongside Onlet, I didn't do that, are you guys manipulating what I write??????????

Wooooooooooooooo, Something odd here I posted a) B) c)... why has some face with glasses come up on my post alongside Onlet, I didn't do that, are you guys manipulating what I write??????????

Hey guys................. paranoia setting in............. B) = B) omg it is actually in the list as B) B) that is so funny, check it out people, no one manipulating anything omg........... just goes to show how anyone can freak out....... absolutely laughing my a** off now, talk about mass hysteria

Hey guys................. paranoia setting in............. B) = B) omg it is actually in the list as B) B) that is so funny, check it out people, no one manipulating anything omg........... just goes to show how anyone can freak out....... absolutely laughing my a** off now, talk about mass hysteria

Ok, for anyone completely confused by now................................. a letter b.............. with a............... ) next to it, turns out to be a B) which is funny once but when all of your posts then become nonsense is not quite so funny but hey life really is too short so here is one for good measure :mellow:

This forum is not run by us - as far as I know anyway...........

I have no complaints about the 2 times I used Upad.

True if you wanted to advertise on Rightmove it would have to be through an agent and pay a fee - but that is where most applicants who are in work look. For some properties I use an agent to ' tenant find only' - same one for last 12 years. They are straightforward - set out their fees at start, I use my own tenancy agreement and specify who in status terms I want to see - they filter out the chaff. It is worth every penny of their £350 fee for me to work this way. It saves me time, money and abusive phone calls from people I won't be renting to and what is more it is tax deductable.

You don't have to advertise on the net. For other properties I use newsagents window boards, community magazines, supermarket notice boards, large company noticeboards or even put my own notice in the property window. These are cheap or free sources. Try them.

Hi tech does not always get the best tenant - best to be inventive and flexible.

Does any of this help you Whittall? Sometimes you just have to get out there and have a go and make mistakes - we'll try to put you right when you do.

Mortitia

I think its best to identify your target tenant before deciding WHERE you advertise. Looking for vitually anyone/ DSS with few restrictions is a world of difference to looking for......a non smoker, non pet owner, working, professional with no children who meets rentguarantee criteria etc.

I can advertise on line and get a never ending stream of time wasters, unemployed, benefits tenants and single mums.....which certainly is not what I want.

Last summer when I advertised on line I got 40 applicants. Guess what ?.......39 of them failed to qualify. I won't be advertising on that site again any time soon. If I want to have my time wasted I'll go and watch West Ham trying to play football.

Good luck.

This forum is not run by us - as far as I know anyway...........

I have no complaints about the 2 times I used Upad.

True if you wanted to advertise on Rightmove it would have to be through an agent and pay a fee - but that is where most applicants who are in work look. For some properties I use an agent to ' tenant find only' - same one for last 12 years. They are straightforward - set out their fees at start, I use my own tenancy agreement and specify who in status terms I want to see - they filter out the chaff. It is worth every penny of their £350 fee for me to work this way. It saves me time, money and abusive phone calls from people I won't be renting to and what is more it is tax deductable.

You don't have to advertise on the net. For other properties I use newsagents window boards, community magazines, supermarket notice boards, large company noticeboards or even put my own notice in the property window. These are cheap or free sources. Try them.

Hi tech does not always get the best tenant - best to be inventive and flexible.

Does any of this help you Whittall? Sometimes you just have to get out there and have a go and make mistakes - we'll try to put you right when you do.

Mortitia

Hi Mortitia

Yes thankyou it does, just trying to calm down from my a,b,c, episode, breathe breathe breathe. 123............. abc...........

Thank you and I very much appreciate everything you have said,

I'm struggling though, hate to admit it but I'm really struggling, I have so many personal/family/extended family/next door neighbour, who's dog?? who's cat??? who's responsible?? who's there to help?? where's my rent??? what do I do?

Which is why I joined.. not long I know, but really don't know what else to do........... I just get........ well thats the way it is............. pay up or go

Thank you...... got to add a little smile here..... maybe more woeful than smiley but really...thanks for your help :unsure:

I think its best to identify your target tenant before deciding WHERE you advertise. Looking for vitually anyone/ DSS with few restrictions is a world of difference to looking for......a non smoker, non pet owner, working, professional with no children who meets rentguarantee criteria etc.

I can advertise on line and get a never ending stream of time wasters, unemployed, benefits tenants and single mums.....which certainly is not what I want.

Last summer when I advertised on line I got 40 applicants. Guess what ?.......39 of them failed to qualify. I won't be advertising on that site again any time soon. If I want to have my time wasted I'll go and watch West Ham trying to play football.

Good luck.

Hi Richlist

Trying to keep to the post in question, who did you advertise with in the summer? which online site? you don't strike me as an on the fence critter............. so pray tell which online project did you employ?

Hi Richlist

Trying to keep to the post in question, who did you advertise with in the summer? which online site? you don't strike me as an on the fence critter............. so pray tell which online project did you employ?

I think you might have missed my point. I AM sticking to the post in question. Having an online advertising site recommended to you doesn't cut it unless you know your target tenant and that the site is going to deliver your requirements. There are lots of great sites......often frequented by time wasters, unemployed, low income benefits tenants, which is great if that all you are looking for.

Steer clear of GUMTREE.

I think you might have missed my point. I AM sticking to the post in question. Having an online advertising site recommended to you doesn't cut it unless you know your target tenant and that the site is going to deliver your requirements. There are lots of great sites......often frequented by time wasters, unemployed, low income benefits tenants, which is great if that all you are looking for.

Steer clear of GUMTREE.

I didn't mean you, I mean't me, I had started to vear off crazily!

Cheers

Steer clear of GUMTREE.

I would like to reinforce RL comment above.

Steer clear of Gumtree! I know of two Landlords who got more than they bargained for by taking tenants from what they thought was a cheap and easy route to a tenant from Gumtree.

One of the Landlords I know ended up with a cannabis factory in his bedrooms. He was completely suckered in by the tenant applicant who turned out to be a front for the real cannabis farm tenants.

The other landlord ended up with a non paying tenant and it took 4 months to evict him. Failed to carry out the pre letting checks correctly.

Still you learn from this as we all have done in the past.

I would like to reinforce RL comment above.

Steer clear of Gumtree! I know of two Landlords who got more than they bargained for by taking tenants from what they thought was a cheap and easy route to a tenant from Gumtree.

One of the Landlords I know ended up with a cannabis factory in his bedrooms. He was completely suckered in by the tenant applicant who turned out to be a front for the real cannabis farm tenants.

The other landlord ended up with a non paying tenant and it took 4 months to evict him. Failed to carry out the pre letting checks correctly.

Still you learn from this as we all have done in the past.

I was thinking about Gumtree because of the cheap easy route, food for thought now though, as I have only just got rid of some tenants that were constantly in arrears and they were friends of the family! Its taken me 2 months+ to get them out. I wouldn't let to family or friends again although my view may well be tainted and not all family or friends should be tarred with the same brush I suppose. Mortitia made a good point also about cheap ways to advertise, so I am going to look into a few different avenues and any new tenant will definately be referenced from now on and looking into getting the rent guaranteed too as I lost loads of money on the last ones.

For many years now on this very forum we have ben saying never let to family and friends and there is a very good reason for that as many landlord's with ex- friends and major family fall-outs have discovered to their cost.

• 3 months later...

Archived