Electrical certificates

burremr

Hi All, in the process of selling let A and one of the sticking points from purchasers solicitors was the lack of an Electrical Installation Certificate for some £300 of kitchen socket works carried out in 2015. The LA has not been able to obtain the retrospective documentation from a former contractor, or cant be arsed!

Having learnt my lesson I have now requested the certificate for some works carried out (bathroom extractor) on let B only to receive the following response from the LA:

No certification is required for the installation of an extractor fan, in electric terms an extractor fan is very minor works. We could provide you with a minor works certificate if required but this isn't something we'd normally do for this.

Is the LA stringing me along or should all electrical works, however small, be certificated?

I think your LA are wrong.

I am not an electrician but am 99% certain that ANY electrical installation work in the kitchen, bathroom or outside of the property needs a part P certificate if carried out since 2007.

You could offer to pay for an independant electrical inspection....could cost around £500..... in order to satisfy the buyers.

Works that are replacement or repairs aren't notifiable works, additional installations are. Kitchens and especially bathrooms get extra consideration.

The only time non inspection becomes an issue is if there is an incident and the HSE are called in, or come sale time when the surveyor or solicitor might ask for certificates for recent works.

The general and easy route is to use an NIC registered sparky. He can, obviously, do the work, but as local councils need a registered sparky to comply with their requirements, he can deal with them also. There are 3 organisations that should comply but, when I looked into this, the NIC were considered the ones.

If there is work carried out by a non registered sparky he should inform you that an inspection is required, or arrange it. Since the inspection would, effectively, be carried out by an NIC sparky it makes sense that he should have done the work.

I considered going back in to contracting to cherry pick work. The qualifications are no issue but the registration costs and meter's calibration costs make it far less of an attractive proposition. Then if I do work and the customer needs to employ a registered sparky for inspection where is the point in me?

I sold a property last year in Essex. The buyer asked if any notifiable electrical work had been carried out since 2007. I replied no. They still decided to go ahead with a full electrical inspection/ report of the property....at their expense.

It took x2 guys 3.5 hours and cost the buyer £500. I'm sure just a single kitchen or bathroom may well be £100 but I'm talking of a full electrical check of everything.

The problem is for a buyer.....if the seller can't produce a certificate for notifiable work its questionable what other problems exist....so in this case the seller should expect to have the full works with the seller expected to pick up the bill. 

The seller might want to remind the managing agents that should this be the case and the agent doesn't provide the certificate then a claim through the small claims court for the cost of certification will result.

Good luck. Do let us know how you get on.

I had some re-wiring done at 2 of my props last year and the contractor provided me with certificates without being asked - he is an old school type and very conscientious.

I think Burremr you were right in your assessment of your tradesman.  Next time - no certificate - no payment.

On 14/03/2017 at 8:31 PM, burremr said:

No certification is required for the installation of an extractor fan, in electric terms an extractor fan is very minor works. We could provide you with a minor works certificate if required but this isn't something we'd normally do for this.

Is the LA stringing me along or should all electrical works, however small, be certificated?

Your LA is quite wrong.

Bathrooms and bathrooms in particular that are having electrical work carried out require a certificate of work. There is a strict installation code of work and basically that is the fitting of isolating switches controlling the fan and positioning of light switches to bathroom and fan.  Also the exit fan pipe for steam etc. must conform to minor building regs.

You could have all this work done of course without obtaining a certificate but my advice is to use a qualified registered Part P electrician to cover your back because it would they who would be liable for faulty installation work.

At least 20 people a year die in bathrooms through being electrocuted.  One Man, only last week, having his mobile phone connected to his charger which was resting on his chest whilst he was in the bath!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4322932/Man-32-dies-charging-iPhone-bath.html

Archived