1ST INSPECTION

SMILE

Hi all

Well the 1st inspection is due on my 1st rental property next week. Just wondered what you guys do on an inspection....Is there anything in particular I should remember / get signed etc....? Any advice would be appreciated.

Ps - So far so good, tenants I know have registered for all of their utility bills as far as I can see and they have been regulary sending my mail to me and have given me their new home telephone number in case I need them for anything. I've driven past the house once and all looks fine and the gardens are being well maintained. I know this doesnt mean there are no potential problems but so far so good and as they have paid me six months plus deposit up front ...I am actually beginning to relax a little bit.....!!!!!

Hi! I have only done an inspection once, as I had problem tenants, but I hope every little bit of advice helps. Don't get distracted from the job in hand by chatting with the tenant and not looking properly. Have an introductory chat and then get on with the job. Comparing the current state of the property with the original inventory is useful. Take someone with you if possible as one may notice something that the other misses. Pay particular attention to plumbing. Remember to look UP! I discovered the water tank in the loft was leaking... neither the tenant nor the agent had noticed the damp ceiling. In fact we found three water leaks that were unreported. Your tenants are probably good, but do not let that colour how you approach the visit. Reassure the tenant that you are not there to check how tidy they are. It is also a good chance to see if there is any evidence of extra people living there (extra toothbrushes in the bathroom, lots of beds!) Of course the tenant may give you a cover-up story, or they may come clean and be quite happy for the extra person/ people to go on tenancy agreement. Be prepared to discover some items that require your attention and look on the visit as safeguarding your investment.

Archived