Renting to Housing Benefits Tenants

Jonny

Hi There,

I'm a new landlord and trying to rent my property privately I've had a family interested in renting and will be paying from housing benefit. I have my reservations...can anyone give me any advise to whether this would be a good or bad move?

Cheers, Jonny

Personally I don't rent to Local Authorities and never have but I am sure there will be others who will tell you they don't have any problems as such.

One of the problems, as I understand it, is that the money is not paid direct to the Landlord by some Councils but paid to the Tenant who then is suppose to pay the Landlord which personally I think is wrong.

Many cases of abuse of this system of Councils paying the Tenant and Landlords not getting their money and very unhelpful Local Councils are being reported.

Hi Jonny,I have a house in Halifax which has a single mum with 2 kids,she is a dss tenant.You must stress from the outset that the council must pay you direct(not sure if all councils are the same)I wasn't going to go down the dss road but so far it has been ok.The council will look at their database,give your property an approximate rental figure,this is called a pre-determination.You need to do that first to make sure the sums will add up.The benefit office work on a weekly amount and once everything was set up ,it just goes straight into my account like clockwork.Lots of forms to fill out initially but when isn't there.Cheers Adam

My advice is to meet the prospective DSS tenant and then decide whether you want to let your property to them or not.

I have had a great deal of success letting my property to DSS tenants who are single mothers as long as the Grandfather acts as rent guarantor for their grandchild.

If you choose a decent DSS tenant then the issue of who receives the rent first (ie: landlord or tenant) is irrelevant as - if they are decent - you will get your money !

It can be argued that DSS tenants are more reliable than private tenants as DSS tenants get their benefits every month whereas private tenants may lose their jobs (and not be able to pay their rent) !!

Good luck,

Mark

Archived