Tenant References

SLH

Hi,

I have been renting my properties for a couple of years now but have always rented to friends or via local tenant finder services. I am now in the position where I will be renting to complete strangers and wanted some advice on what process a landlord should go through to get references.

My main concern was as a landlord what I am legally allowed to request of a tenant with regard to providing references.

Any advice greatly appreciated!!!

Hi,

I would suggest that you always take an employment reference and a character reference (ie: someone who knows your tenant but is not their employer and is not related to them).

In addition, if available, then a previous landlords references (or letting agents reference) is also desirable - although some tenants cannot provide this as they are either living with parents or have previously held a mortgage.

You could also do a credit check using Paragon Advance - http://www.paragonadvance.com - but this will cost you (or your tenant if you pass the charge onto them) about £11.75.

The most important thing, in my opinion, is to personally follow the references up YOURSELF and then take a view as to whether you want to let your property to the tenant.

Do not be tempted to take the money from the first tenant that crosses your doorstep.

Remember ... It is better to have a property empty than to have a property occupied with a tenant who is not paying their rent !!

Good luck,

Mark

I have used www.letsure.co.uk for credit reference checks. They make a charge but it has turned out to be money well spent - as they found a prospective tenant didn't work where she said she did. When she was confronted she had decided she didn't want to rent from us anyway. £25 well spent saving unpaid rent.

References are essential and follow them up. No mobile phones either!

I also have use Experian credit reference service which is worth every penny especially a couple of years ago when a very convincing Young Lady who appeared to be more than satisfactory had just filed for Bankruptcy, forgot to mention that love!! Needless to say she was dumped!

It is better to have your property empty than a Tenant who is going to give you grief and hassle.

Mel.

www.experian.co.uk

Archived