8 week tenant

klh

I have been approached by a gentleman with young daughter and lodger currently living with him, he has recently sold his house and would like to rent my property for a period of 8 weeks until his new property is ready for him.

Could anyone advise me on this please.

I would only do this if I was desperate!

You are not covered legally under current Tenancy/Landlord Agreements for periods of 2 Months.

A larger deposit and Monthly Rent charge will be necessary to cover increases in possibly additional cleaning etc after such a short let period.

Personally I wouldn't do it preferring to wait until I had someone renting my property for a minimum of 6 Months with all the legal docs. in place etc.

When renting out your property you should cover all angles and avoid the pitfalls.

Plenty of Landlords can tell you of their horror stories...... you just have to make sure it doesn't happen to you.

This would be an assured shorthold tenancy (unless you make it something else specifically), but no matter what period you agree to you will not be able to take legal action to recover possession within the first 6 months (except for breaches of contract).

So there you go, 2 contradicting posts leaving you none the wiser isn't the internet wonderful. :D

Hi,

I like to let my properties out on "short term lets" because I can charge a premium rent (ie: I charge them more rent per month for a shorter contract) thereby improving my rental yield and, also, I have a semi-captive audience (as letting agents will not typically create agreements for less than 6 months).

Finally, tenants looking for short term lets are nearly always able to pay the full rent (for the entire period) and the security deposit UP FRONT.

So my advice is a) charge a premium rent, :D try and get a 3 or 4 month agreement (rather than a 2 month agreement) and c) TAKE THEIR MONEY !

Hope that helps ....

Mark

Archived