Rent Assessment Tribunal

oxford1066

FIRST TIME LANDLORD AND FIRST TIME FORUM - SO PLEASE BE KIND!!

Synopsis: I have ASHT with a tenant that renewed after 6 months in November 05 for a further 6 months. I have now served notice to quit on the tenant (who I have also agreed to pay compensation - in excess of the incremental costs he said he was incurring as a consequence - for GCH not working properly, despite spending c.£600 trying to get it fixed for him). However, now that this is agreed the next thing is I am notified by The Residential Property Tribunal service (Rent Assessment Panel) that they have received a completed rent increase referral notice (as he is seeking a retrospective reduction in rent - to June 05, before he complained about GCH - as compensation and he disputes the rent increase I advised him would be in place from June 06!).

I have checked http://www.rpts.gov.uk/our_services/rd.htm to establish that any tribunal finding is binding :D

So my questions are:

1. Is a tribunal report binding if it is given after the date the tenants have left the property?

2. How strong will my case be given that he has already accepted compensation amount (although its not yet paid...) and he has been served notice anyway?

3. Any other advice you can give me about how to play this/the Tribunal

Any advice gratefully received!

Archived