Lost ex-tenant, a sequel

Webb

Last year, after a tenant left without forwarding address, I obtained a CCJ for payment of owed rent by serving claim at place of (former?) employment, but the ex-tenant never paid.

By chance another landlord, whilst taking action against his tenant for similar non-payment trouble, has recently found that I had been a previous landlord of the same person.

Now that I have the tenant's address (not for long, I guess), what are my next options?

It seems unlikely this person has any money to repay debts.

I could continue, as advised previously, to 'write off' the experience to avoid further personal stress and cost.

Alternatively I could send them a copy of the CCJ, and maybe a letter, in some hope of more positive action.

This person has evidently conned several landlords and I would like to stop them doing it again. What should I do? Is there a criminal offence somewhere in all this?

My advise is never ever EVER let them get away with it!! :)

It seems like he is a serial con-man so do us all a favour and get him whilst you have a chance otherwise he could turn up on my doorstep next!! :D

The process isn't too complicated and if he really can't pay now you can get an attachment of earnings meaning that the next time he gets a job his employer will have to pay you directly - nice!!

Good luck!

Trevor.

I agree with your sentiment. But are sure about use of AEO?

EX321 states that the court will only issue AEO if the tenant (already) has an employer and not if unemployed or self-employed. So this option may not be as certain as it seems, and of course it costs money.

I never actually went down the road of getting an attachment of earnings. The only tenant not to pay me finally paid up when the bailiffs threatened to take his possessions!! :D

I nearly got an attachment of earnings and I thought that if they didn't have a job at the time it just stuck with them until they did, but I may be wrong, perhaps they do have to have a job in the first place.

Trevor.

Archived