Conducting property viewings

F-Prop

Hi All!

I'm hoping you can help me on this one. I own and manage my own properties (not using an agent) and therefore I arrange and conduct my own viewings for potential tenants.

However I've noticed that more and more people are simply not turning up and it's so frustrating! <_< I must get about 25% not turning up. <_<:):angry:

And it's always the same, after waiting 15mins I ring them and usually the phone is turned off so I leave a polite message, however of the ones that do accidentally answer not realsing it's me calling, usually give the excuse that they have had a car accident and can't come (this excuse has been used on me several times!)

Does anyone else have this problem and how do you get round it? Or do you simply accept it's part of the job to be messed about? :(

Many thanks!

Trevor.

Hi Trevor.I spent nearly 5 years as an estate agent so I know how frustrating it can be,especialy when I would arrange for someone to see 6or7 houses then they did'nt bother to turn up.A couple of suggestions would be to arrange a block of viewings,so any interested parties would have to view on the same day(only works if its a popular house).Install a sense of urgency into them by telling them that there are a lot of people booked in to view it,they then might feel they are missing out on a corker.Try telling them that you are working away from home at the moment but you will still travel to meet them at the house,this way they know your going out of your way to accommadate them and they will feel very guilty if they don't show up.This may or may not help.(its amazing how many people told me they had been in a car crash as well.)

Thanks Adam I'll give it a go!

I was speaking to a friend of mine who does viewings for a local estate agent. He does around 10 viewings a day and told me that he will probably get one a month that doesn't show up and was surprised I got so many. I've always assumed that when you are considering renting it's because you are in a period of change in your life like new job, getting divorced etc and that turning up for a viewing seems insignificant. I get quite a few calls from guys who need a place to stay tonight (I wonder why?? <_< )

And good luck with the portfolio!

Trevor.

Hi,

I have houses in both nice and not-so-nice areas ( although we are gradually getting rid of these).

I have found that I get around 40% not bothering to turn up for letting viewings regardless of areas. So much so that I now actually try and puit them off over the phone. I have found this gets rid of most of the time wasters and I tend to get most people turning up now. Try it - its really good fun hearing the reactions of some of these time wasting idiots!!!!!!!!

To end I would never use an agent - they are expensive and expect the rent to be brought to them on a golden offering platter by the tenant (very rare occurance indeed) and do little (or less) to chase tenants when this doesnt happen.

Archived