Council's are taking away Class C exemption

axil23

At least mine is from April 1st Class C exemption will only be for one month instead of the 6 months you get right now. Pity as sometimes when you do a overhaul this is handy or even when you go a few months without a tenant this will get quite expensive for the LL's.

Is your local council doing similar?

I am on the border with 2 councils and one is changing the empty and furnished rule to a discount of only 50% of the normal council tax due. They said the rules/changes will vary from council to council.

Yeah apparently the Government has given them full rights to make changes as they want. This is very bad news for me at least as I don't like to be under pressure to rent and the 6 month unfurnished was ideal. Now we will be loosing rent and have council tax to pay which can be £150 a month on average. At any one time I have 4-5 places empty so that means a extra burden of £800 a month!

This Class C business differs a lot.

In Poole I have been told that there is no relief on CT for any reason after 1st April 2013 but in East Dorset and nearby Bournemouth there is no change - then again in Richmond on Thames I explained my void status with long term tenants going and flat needing repair and that was OK to get relief from tax under rule C.

It won't be long before they all catch on to getting more money out of us to top up their pension funds.

Mortitia

I don't share the general cynicism of local authorities.

Mine in Essex

* Do a first class job.

* They keep costs down.

* The rubbish collectors do a fantastic job and take all my building rubble when I reffurb any of my properties.

* They provide a free weekend service for rubbish.

* They are helpfull and have a first class website.

and although I don't want to pay more I certainlly wouldn't object when I receive what I percieve as value for money.

I don't share the general cynicism of local authorities.

Mine in Essex

* Do a first class job.

* They keep costs down.

* The rubbish collectors do a fantastic job and take all my building rubble when I reffurb any of my properties.

* They provide a free weekend service for rubbish.

* They are helpfull and have a first class website.

and although I don't want to pay more I certainlly wouldn't object when I receive what I percieve as value for money.

1, Horrible horrible job. They will leave it for a year to chase a tenant for council tax and then send me the bill for it. Happens every month.

2. Their costs go up due to them being so overworked (maybe?) that it takes them 2 months to send a bill to a tenant. Most only stay for 6 months so the council doesn't even get its act together by the time they have left.

3. They don't pick up for free. They charge per van load and I booked one in last week earliest pick up they gave me was next Friday. If I empty a house it can be easily 4-5 van loads. So very expensive for rubbish collection.

4. Weekends..... Lol.

5. Rude and couldn't care attitude.

It's amazing the service standards vary so much.

RL perhaps you could pass on my open invitation to your rubbish collectors to visit Buxton.

They can enjoy the splendours of Derbyshire with plentiful, cool, fresh air. Here we can provide much builders rubble and such like for their attention as locally we are deterred from even presenting this at our refuse depot ( I understand now why it's called refuse, as they refuse to accept it). This I find to be similar in Hyndburn, and Denbighshire.

We have seen a fair bit of snow of late so don't expect the usual household rubbish collection. Understandably the poor chaps must stay sheltered and warm somewhere.

As for the CT changes so far I've only had notification from Hyndburn, and very ambiguous. I can't see what they intend to do to me for my unfurnished and mt property come April. I can see that they are removing the 50% single occupancy allowance, allowance for refurbs, and properties mt after 1 year, I think, will be penalised with 50% extra CT.

That's from memory as I projected the screwed up ball of paper to the bin, there to remain till the snow clears.

I would expect the likes of Denbighshire to just 'get me' for voids without any forewarning.

If you don't like the service provided by your local authority.....and believe or not, I have had the odd occasion when I've been more than a little dissappointed.......you need to understand how to play the system.

Most areas have local councillors who represent you. In my area I make a point of having all of their emails and I then send them a note of the complaint with details of the evidence/ back up info and ask them to follow up....works every time for me.

Learn the process.......final fall back position is to contact your MP.

final fall back position is to contact your MP.

Did that. Council took me to court and sent Baliff's to my house for a tenant who moved out two years ago. Just because they couldn't get their act together they wanted me to pay the council tax. Sent numerous complaint letter and copied my MP into it. Never did I once get a reply. In the end had to pay a Accountant to send them proof of rent paid. They said no to everything else.

Anyway back on topic.

I suspect there is a lot more to your story.

Local Councils are unlikely to spend money on legal action unless they recieve advice that they had a good chance of winning the case.

If they have a case against you......its because you have done something incorrectly.

I've a view these days that pretty well everything we must deal with in life is corrupt. Service is difficult to find and in the main is a thing of the past.

We only have a few seconds of existence on this place and to spend great amounts of time challenging and looking for justice that is only a perception anyway doesn't appeal.

I aim more to pass the problem on. I, we, all of us have more than enough cr*p to deal with and most is pathetic and unnecessary so where I can I make it their problem, whoever they might be.

I 'attempt' to take the path of least resistance. My priority now is to assist a disorganisation to organise well enough for us to manage a skiing break around the problems the well paid disorganisers of that bunch create.

I suspect there is a lot more to your story.

Local Councils are unlikely to spend money on legal action unless they recieve advice that they had a good chance of winning the case.

If they have a case against you......its because you have done something incorrectly.

You really shouldn't be so judgmental. Ok tell me what I have done wrong here as this is similar to what normally happens.

T moves in June 12. I submit AST to council June 12. They write to me with a bill for the full council tax off me as they have me as being liable. I again forward them the agreement in Nov 12 and stress the T is liable. This was within a few days after the letter.

Last week I got a letter to say that they have taken me to court and £42 extra costs have been added.

Now in this case the T has now moved on. They have lost out on 6 months council tax due to their stupidity/weak system.

What have I done incorrectly?

You really shouldn't be so judgmental.

Of course I can be judgemental .....as much as I like.....its an internet chat forum. I'm expressing an opinion.....you are expressing yours. We don't have to agree but, we shoud act like grown ups.

Ok tell me what I have done wrong here as this is similar to what normally happens.

I have no idea and no real interest in finding out the details.

What have I done incorrectly?

Shouldn't you be asking the local council that question ? That way you will be better able to provide a satisfactory defence and win the case.

Archived