EPC and Valid period ?

ian.coulby

I shall have to start a topic on the new Government "Green Deal".

Now that is a real turn-off. :rolleyes:

I wonder what Clown dreamt this one up !

Mel, I think someone is trying to police it ,as my ARLA agent told me yesterday that as from 1/1/13 an agent has to show the EPC rating in any advertising for the property weather it to be for letting or sale, in fact in our local paper last night (Thursday is property night ) most (not all)agents were showing the EPC rating in sales / to let ads. I am having a new EPC done on Monday to get the property up from a G to an E as attic /walls have been insulated since the current EPC was issued and my normal agent has made an in house policy not to market less than E rated properties in line with the forthcoming 2016 legislation.

Why do Landlord's have to adhere to stringent insulation & energy performance plus a certificate when private householder's don't?

What makes tenants a special case?

An open question.

Well I guess owner occupiers have a number of incentives to improve energy performance eg......add value to property, reduce their bills, increase their comfort etc.

Rented property has little or no incentive for the owners whose interest lies mainly in letting quickly & obtaining at least market rent. By insisting on EPC's the idea is that tenants will create pressure on owners to improve energy performance........not really working though, is it ?

Thats probably why further rules/ regulations are being introduced in 2016.

In some ways the idea behind EPC's is the same as gas safety certificates. Private owners/occupiers already have an incentive to ensure their gas installations are safe....if they are not , they die. Landlords have no incentive without legislation making safety checks mandatory.

For answer to OP, try this link folks!

Gov Regs. headed Dec 2012, effective date from 9th Jan 2013.

http://www.inspectyourenergy.co.uk/resources/A_guide_to_energy_performance_certificates_for_the_construction__sale_and_let_of_dwellings.pdf

As far as I can understand (but can I?) an EPC is required for prospective buyers and tenants and is valid from the date on the certificate for period defined as 10 years, irrespective of changes of tenant or owner. (Is the change of owner bit very new?)

However I've always reckoned the EPC information and rating results are pure speculation because of let-out clauses for what inspectors can't check, and i.m.o. energy use and wastage depends far more on how the property is used. See Gas Check thread for central heating mis-operation!!!!

EPC's are useless & prove nothing because two identical households with indentical ratings can use hugely different amounts of energy.

It's like road tax being linked to car emissions, another load of garbage since a top rated high polluting old banger will probably only do a fraction of the mileage done by a low emission zero rated salesman's car.

It's just another money making scheme.

EPC's are useless

Well, it keeps the assessors in a job and off unemployment benefits......so it helps everyone else.

& prove nothing because two identical households with indentical ratings can use hugely different amounts of energy.

True, but my B rating beats your D rating and I'm going promote that fact to anyone and everyone I can.

It's just another money making scheme.

But lots of cars have emmisions so low they don't pay any road tax .

My house (all usual insulation, condensing boiler, two stage programmable thermostat, etc) - EPC Rating = C

iMeasure.org.uk - Rating given for my actual energy usage against ambient temperature (on same scale as EPC) = E !!

(iMeasure is a clever website from Oxford Uni that calculates your weekly consumption from your entered meter readings and indicates how well your house actually performs week-by-week against outdoor temperature at your local weather station.)

Proves the point about value of EPCs, I reckon - if I sell it will be a C rating of course!

Of 5, near identical, flats the best of them, as it's ground floor and effectively insulted / protected front, back and above, has a potential saving of £175 pa.

The worst, as it's 1st floor rear corner, is hit by all winds, has a potential saving of £162 pa.

From experience I know the best and worst of my flats heat wise, and why.

The biggest potential saving, apparently, would be from cavity wall insulation. That makes me wonder what the white foamy stuff was that was blowing about when I double glazed.

Being a responsible and caring LL I suppose I should renew the EPC's to update the potential savings figure as the energy costs have risen significantly since 2009.

On second thoughts nah.

Guest missionrestoration

It is a compulsory document if you are selling or letting a property, and must be commissioned, but not necessarily received, before marketing can start. It must be made available at the earliest opportunity, ideally within 28 days of the property going on the market and no later than exchange of contracts. There is a penalty of £200 for not providing an EPC.

Mission Restoration

I think you will find that an EPC has to be obtained at the earliest opportunity within 7 days of marketing if possible, up to an additional 21 days max, and the penalty is £500 minimum.

But that would be in England and Wales, where the law has changed recently, and someone will probably correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know about San Diego. Is that the one in USA?

Archived