EPC and Valid period ?

ian.coulby

Good Afternoon all hope you can help.

I purchased a property in Jan 2012, I am know looking at renting out the property. I have the EPC from the previous owner (Dated September 2011) and since this time she has done nothing and I have done nothing in regards to the heating, insulation etc. to the property. I am aware that a EPC lasts 10 years and I need a valid one to rent the property. My question is do I need to get a new EPC done for renting or will my existing one cover me?.

We purchased our BTL property in September 2011 and were provided with an EPC by the vendors, which is what we've given to our LA's since.

So:

* you don't know if the EPC is valid for letting purposes or

* if the LA know if its valid or

* if you were supposed to get a new one before marketting your rental property ?

I have done a quick check and depending on who you believe it is valid for 10 years and transferable between tenants & house sales and that makes sense however the EPC produced from the old HIP is only valid for 12 months...............so it's a real bu$$er's muddle really to get the definitive answer to the OP question.

and transferable between tenants 7 house sales

It didn't used to be ......you definitely couldn't use the EPC from your purchase for the letting of the same property.....you needed a new one.

Do you know when the rules were changed ?

and transferable between tenants & house sales

It didn't used to be ......you definitely couldn't use the EPC from your purchase for the letting of the same property.....you needed a new one.

Do you know when the rules were changed ?

No not really. It all became so confusing & wishy-washy towards the end of 2009/10 when Governments were changing the HIP rules which then led up to the Coalition Government dropping HIP packs as a legal requirement.

If the truth be known I would imagine many rentals change hands without an EPC being ever done.

If the truth be known I would imagine many rentals change hands without an EPC being ever done.

I'd go further than that and say that the vast majority of rentals DON'T have an EPC.

Failure to comply carries just a very small penalty and the policing of EPC's.....the responsibility Environmentall Health .....is virtually non existant.

My agents no longer bother to ask landlords if they have an EPC before taking the property on the books.

I am just in the process of getting a new one done although the current one is still valid , but since I have fitted a new front door (UPVC) and had the loft insulated about 1 foot thick and had the walls insulated I want to get the EPC upgraded from a G to an E or less with the new 2016 regulations coming in , hopefully it will a new banding through this but on the downside it has nightstore heaters and off peak water heater which Mr EPC man doesnt like.

My agents no longer bother to ask landlords if they have an EPC before taking the property on the books.

As of 1st of Jan .2013 they cannot advertise it in the shop window, Rightmoves or the paper without stating the level of rating the property has (according to my ARLA agent today )

So:

* you don't know if the EPC is valid for letting purposes or

* if the LA know if its valid or

* if you were supposed to get a new one before marketting your rental property ?

I'm not clear what you're saying, Richlist.

I'm not asking any of the questions you've written.

Our LA asked for an EPC when we put the property on their books. We gave them the one we were given by the vendors we purchased from and that was satisfactory/valid.

I'm not clear what you're saying, Richlist.

I'm not asking any of the questions you've written.

Our LA asked for an EPC when we put the property on their books. We gave them the one we were given by the vendors we purchased from and that was satisfactory/valid.

Whats not to understand ?

You told us that you used the same EPC provided by your vendors when you let the property.

I then suggested that niether you or your agents know if that was a valid EPC that could be used when letting.....simple really.

Who told you that it was satisfactory/ valid........the lettings agents won't necessarily know the rules.

You're doing it again, Rich - suggesting that I have been foolish.

Why are you assuming that I haven't done my research, simply because the change in rules comes as news to you. You said it yourself, "I suggested that neither you or your agents know if that was a valid EPC..."

It's really tiresome to have every post I make scrutinised and argued by you - perhaps that's what was bothering new members on the other post?

simply because the change in rules comes as news to you

I don't know that the rules have changed.....its only been suggested that they may have been. Nobody has actually provided a definitive answer.

So, nows your chance.......perhaps you can provide that proof .......who told you that your purchase EPC was 'satisfactory/ valid' for letting ?

I have not got an EPC on one of my properties either.

Which is strange really because last August I went to the trouble of fitting out the loft with an extra layer of loft insulation so it is now about 300mm deep and a few other minor measures as well. It is already double glazed and has an efficient boiler and heating system and is a modern house.

Always a rebel. :D

Any Landlord who wishes to enter into a new-let agreement on a dwelling which is not due for demolition must have a valid EPC. An EPC is not required for a lease/tenancy extension where the original agreement was entered into before 1 October 2008 and has been continuous since. (Demolition means that the property has been demonstrated to be suitable for demolition, that the resulting site would be suitable for redevelopment and that all necessary permissions are in place for both demolition and the redevelopment)

An EPC used for domestic rental purposes is valid for 10 years from the date of issue but if subsequently used for the sale of that property, is only valid for 3 years.

If a dwelling is part of a commercial EPC then its EPC is valid for 10 years, sale or rental (see details below (commercial) for instances where this may be the case).

An EPC used for domestic rental purposes is valid for 10 years from the date of issue but if subsequently used for the sale of that property, is only valid for 3 years.

Thanks....but that only goes part way to answering the question.

What is the converse situation ie......An EPC originally produced for the sale of a property and then subsequently used for letting the property ?

Letting agent, who is also an estate agent : "if you have just purchased this property, you will have a valid EPC needed for renting it out."

Us : Google EPC, find that it is valid for selling or renting purposes for 10 years, unless improvements are made to the property that may impact on the energy efficiency.

Duly pass on EPC to LA, as I said in my first post.

Job done. :-)

But you have made me wonder, Richlist - I forgot to check the validity or accuracy of www.directgov, so...;-)

Archived