Dear friends

My concern is about a property deposit. Specifically i was a T and i asked to end a tenancy agreement earlier and the L/A and the L have accepted this but they have not told me for any fees for ending the tenancy earlier, However, i returned the keys and the property was in excellent condition. Now 1 month later the landlord is refusing to return the deposit, for covering his loss and for breach of contract as he stating. Please note that there was no any clause stating for any fees for ending the tenancy earlier or breach of contract. And neither the LA or the L have informed when i asked for ending the tenancy for any fees that i have to pay. Does he have the right to do so? Thanks in advance

Was your deposit protected correctly?

If so, it's not as straightforward as the LA/LL holding onto it - they would have to lodge a claim, which you could then counter-argue and the deposit would only be released once an agreement had been reached between both parties...as I understand it.

As to whether your LL has a case, I don't know. Is there anything in your original tenancy agreement that states what would happen in the event of you terminating the agreement early?

I am making assumptions so feel free to correct me where wrong.

You had a fixed period contract and required to depart the property before the end of that fixed period.

You informed the LA and LL (possibly the LL informed via LA, no matter).

You feel they should have educated you of your responsibility under contract and entered into negotiation to close the agreement in your favour.

The LA / LL now refuses to approve release of the deposit in lieu of unpaid rents up to the end of the fixed period.

As Tracey, was the deposit protected ? With a LA, although possible, it's more unlikely that the deposit hasn't been protected.

You had belief that there was agreement to release you from your responsibilities, in what form was this agreement ?

It is good that you returned the property in excellent condition as so many T's see this a a bonus for a LL rather than what reasonable T's should do as norm.

Archived