Council Tax at uninhabitable property?

axil23

Have a house which I was stripping out and redoing but just haven't had the cash flow. Its been 6 months and now the council tax payments have started. It has nothing, no kitchen, no sink ,no car carpets, no bathrooms well you get the picture.

Are there any council tax exemptions that I can claim?

If your house is uninhabitable you can inform your LA and they should suspend council tax until you inform them that house is OK again.

When it happened to me LA sent an inspector who checked all rooms to make sure I hadn't got a usable bed hidden away somewhere.

Maybe I got a new operator but when I called my local authority they claimed a Class C exemption for empty and unfurnished is only for 6 months. Is this a different exemption that you mention?

...........when I called my local authority they claimed a Class C exemption for empty and unfurnished is only for 6 months. Is this a different exemption that you mention?

Empty & unfurnished does not accurately describe your property. It is also undergoing major works which normally places it into another category. Most Councils will have the details on their web site or you can ask them to send the criteria necessary to qualify for additional exemption to you in the post.

1. Having no kitchen and/or bathroom may not meet the criteria of ' major repair work '.... for full exemption.

2. The property may be uninhabitable but, by your own admission, major repair work HAS NOT / IS NOT being carried out.

3. Different Councils operate different sets of rules.

see here:-

http://www.direct.go...Tax/DG_10037422

Page down to ' Exemptions & Empty Homes'.

1. Having no kitchen and/or bathroom may not meet the criteria of ' major repair work '.... for full exemption.

2. The property may be uninhabitable but, by your own admission, major repair work HAS NOT / IS NOT being carried out.

3. Different Councils operate different sets of rules.

see here:-

http://www.direct.go...Tax/DG_10037422

Page down to ' Exemptions & Empty Homes'.

Looks like I could claim A2 - Dwellings where structural alterations or major repairs have taken place (exempt for up to 12 months)

In my are area having no roof or windows is the only way they will consider 'exemption' after the initial 6 months has expired under rule C.

Hence a bungalow 2 doors up from me has just had the roof tiles/felt removed as owner is in a dispute with planners over what he can do. He is on a loser in IMO.

Occasionally when I apply for exemption from CT under rule C they send an inspector round to make sure - keeps some council employee in a job until they get their bombproof pension I suppose.

Mortitia

Axil 23 Your property state will NOT exempt you for more than 6 months.

Most Councils will only accept MAJOR works in my experience.....like after flood or fire damage. Councils have really tightened up on the policy in the last 5 years or more on the criteria for an empty property status.

Good luck.

Axil 23 Your property state will NOT exempt you for more than 6 months.

Most Councils will only accept MAJOR works in my experience.....like after flood or fire damage. Councils have really tightened up on the policy in the last 5 years or more on the criteria for an empty property status.

........and quite rightly so.

The less Mr Axil23 pays the more everyone else has to find.

Archived