Council telling me to get rid of T's rubbish

axil23

Got a phone call from Environmental health that there was quite a bit of rubbish piled up in a back yard of one of my flats. I called it in through a rubbish collection agency even though it was not caused by me. The students were just too lazy to get rid of it. Anyway got a call again today that there were 3 cans of Paint and some black bags in the gated back yard.

WTF is this guy on? Has he got that much spare time. Anyway so then he starts off that he wants to see the inside of the house as he is concerned about safety issues and emailed me across a entry notice. My response was feel free to mate I just finished off a 5k renovation on the flat.

So my question is do I have to go and clean up my T's rubbish every week? Where does my liability start and end?

Guest tenants_from_hell

Is tenant occupying or moved out?

Tell the Officer to do simply do one. Because on the tenancy agreement it states in one of the clauses about how the T will keep the property (interior/exterior) clean and dispose of any rubbish.

That is NOT your responsibility. For all we know you can be living 100 miles away, there is no way your liable. Environmental health are picky and want to get you down for something hence they want to visit!

If the tenants have moved out deduct the cost out of their deposit in the same manner as any other deposit deduction.

If they are still in residence write the tenants a letter explaining the problem and the council involment and request they clean up the yard otherwise you will instruct a contractor and the cost will be deducted from their deposit.

If the tenants have gone and you havent got the deposit anymore maybe you should have done a check of the yard before returning the deposit .

T is still at property. If the T does not clean up then do I then have to call out then out? Problem is that they are students and I am sure their £500 deposit is all ready kaput. They have broken back double glazed window through footie, house inside needs new carpets and what not.

Basically now my question is if T does not clean up then does it come down to me as being the next person responsible?

You don't have to do anything, but then the Council will organise for it to be done and pass the cost to the registered owner - you I assume.

It would be reasonable if they were to approach the culprits but it's easier for them to do a LR search and go to the 'money'.

I'm interested in what area this is as I've been hearing some real Stalinist style activity by Manchester Council housing inspectors.

They are taught what powers they can use i training courses and seem to apply them with vigour.

I could relay some , what I perceive as, disgusting attitude stories by these chaps but I'm a bit lazy.

My view challenge 'em and you will lose.

Guest tenants_from_hell

T is still at property. If the T does not clean up then do I then have to call out then out? Problem is that they are students and I am sure their £500 deposit is all ready kaput. They have broken back double glazed window through footie, house inside needs new carpets and what not.

Basically now my question is if T does not clean up then does it come down to me as being the next person responsible?

Like I said you are NOT responsible as you dont live at the property!! Its as simple as that. Its like with your own house, you dump something outside you are responsible because you LIVE in the house but if you DONT how can you be?

Tell the council who lives in the house and pass the details of the tenants on with a tenancy agreement showing they live there. And simply tell the council you cant make me responsible.

Or you will get caught in the middle of it and be sent a bill for clean up costs for something aint your fault simply because your on the land registry as COR said!! (This is another flaw in favour of tenants)! AND you will be possibly sent a notice for fly tipping which will be an additional fine!!

OR

alternatively, when are the tenants leaving? If the rubbish is small and the tenants are going lets say next week, let them go and just get rid of the rubbish. Sometimes you do have to get your hands dirty mate, and lets this be a learning experience in the future.

alternatively, when are the tenants leaving? .

T's are staying on till Jan.

This is in the North East. Cor are you saying that in the end its my responsibility ? Or are you saying that I should just get it done to avoid a fine this time around? Like I said its more or less clean now baring a few paint cans and black bags. Still the guy is aggressive.

Pisses me off how they waste government resources to go after the wrong people.

Do the tenants have a guarantor? If so write them a letter explaing your concerns regarding the condition of the property and garden and make it clear you may have to request payment from them. This will then get the guarantor on the case of the tenants to toe the line.

Do the tenants have a guarantor? If so write them a letter explaing your concerns regarding the condition of the property and garden and make it clear you may have to request payment from them. This will then get the guarantor on the case of the tenants to toe the line.

Grampa most of my properties are in a not so nice part of town. Mostly all foreign students so not easy to get guarantor's.

Archived