Decorating

tenant1

Hi

I have around 3 months left on my tenancy agreement for the apartment I am renting. The landlord wants to come in and decorate a couple of the rooms, while I am at work. I have asked if this can wait until I move out as the rooms are fine and not in any state of disrepair but he is insisting that he wants to do this. I'm not happy about coming home from work to the smell of paint and the disruption this will cause to my personal space.

I do not believe that the landlord can force the issue but if he enters the dwelling without my permission, do I have any form of recourse?

If anyone has experienced an issue like this or has any suggestions, I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thx

• 3 weeks later...

Your landlord has NO right of entry unless in cases of emergency. Having the wrong colour paint on your walls is not an emergency.

1. You are entitled to refuse permission and should he subsequently enter he is breaking the law.......just call the police, report him for unlawfull entry and they should put an immediate stop to his silly antics.

2. Alternatively you can change the lock on the front door so that he cannot gain access proviided you chane it bacck at the end of your tenancy .

3. Alternatively you could negotiate with him to allow entry and to decorate in exchange for say a 50% reduction in your rent ! View it as an opportunity to make/ save money.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much, that's really helpful. Some landlords try to take advantage!

Your landlord has NO right of entry unless in cases of emergency. Having the wrong colour paint on your walls is not an emergency.

1. You are entitled to refuse permission and should he subsequently enter he is breaking the law.......just call the police, report him for unlawfull entry and they should put an immediate stop to his silly antics.

2. Alternatively you can change the lock on the front door so that he cannot gain access proviided you chane it bacck at the end of your tenancy .

3. Alternatively you could negotiate with him to allow entry and to decorate in exchange for say a 50% reduction in your rent ! View it as an opportunity to make/ save money.

Hope this helps.

Archived