Data Protection Act

pinkylous

I am moving out of the property at the end of this month. My landlord has started advertising the property and has passed my mobile number to a letting agency without my permission. However this is not my main worry as no doubt there will be some law protecting the landlord stating he can do so.

My problem is the letting ageny he gave my number to has now gave my number to another letting agency AGAIN without my permission, when I spoke to the original letting agency they said "I dont know what to say the landlord gave us permission to do so" ermmmmmmmm the landlord didnt have my permission to give you my number never mind for you to give my number to a third party!

Have any data protection rules been broken and if so what can I do about it?

I am moving out of the property at the end of this month. My landlord has started advertising the property and has passed my mobile number to a letting agency without my permission. However this is not my main worry as no doubt there will be some law protecting the landlord stating he can do so.

My problem is the letting ageny he gave my number to has now gave my number to another letting agency AGAIN without my permission, when I spoke to the original letting agency they said "I dont know what to say the landlord gave us permission to do so" ermmmmmmmm the landlord didnt have my permission to give you my number never mind for you to give my number to a third party!

Have any data protection rules been broken and if so what can I do about it?

I work in Data Protection but am not a lawyer and my liability for this advice is the same as what you paid for it.

Does your contract have a provision to say that you should allow access for viewings towards the end of the let? If so, then it's probably fair enough for your LL to pass your contact details on to lettings agencies so that viewings can be arranged. However, he should have asked you first, and you do have the right to ask him who he has given your number to. And the right to tell the lettings agencies that they must not pass your number on to any other organisation or individual without your permission, or must not use your number at all and delete all your personal information from their records - and in any case, remove all your details from their records and not contact you once you are no longer a tenant of the property in question. If you do not want mobile contact at all, then tell them all so, but if the contract requires you to allow viewings you will have to give the LL an alternative contact method, e.g. e-mail - and you can tell him that he may not pass this on to any lettings agency without your permission.

Put it all in writing - e-mail will do, and request acknowledgement.

Archived