Advice on capital gains.....

djphillips1408

I own a property that is currently tenanted but intend to sell it in about a year. The capital gain on it would be around 80k. I understand that I have my 10k allowance and if my wife is also on the mortgage then I understand that gives a further 10k, however I did live in the property for 3 years out of the 10 that I have owned it, but not within the last 4 years. I lived there for one year then a gap and then a further 2 years, does this have any impact on the final gains figure that I would have to pay? If I wanted to avoid paying anything I assume that I need to return to the property and live there for around one year? Which brings a hypothetical question, if I was registered as living there and picked up all the bills then how would that pan out? I of course appreciated this is very much on the naughty side ......

HMRC have one of their compicated formulae for calculating your answer to your question.

4 years definitely puts you out of the equation though and it is very unlikely you can claim for principle residence relief.

I believe you have to live in your main residence for 2 years but you need to check on this.

I think you need to consult with a good tax advisor on the best way ahead for your situation.

Mel.

Archived