Deposit for Lodger

Lolainuk

Hiya,

I have a friend who's moving out her current house where she is a lodger (she's moving to my house, I'm a landlord). she pays rent monthly and no written lodger agreement was in place. the deposit give was 2-week rent. She gave her notice to live-in landlords and she gave 2 weeks notice which they were fine with. Her problem is they didn't mention anything about giving her deposit back, she paid her deposit by cheque to the Landlady but no receipt was issued.

Since she gave her notice, Landlords have been not very nice to her, they're sulking and avoiding her, which doesn't help the discussion about deposit. she didn't damage the property and wanted to leave in good terms, as she's living with a family and it was a bit hard, I told her I had a room free in my house, so she said she'd prefer to live with me and my other lodger. so she didn't want to have any hard feeling or anything and doesn't quite understand why they are so shitty about it. (even myself, I don't get it... sulking? really?)

So the question is, on the law side, what can she do in case they refuse to give the deposit back.

Thanks for your help and advice

Cheers

Lola

Small claims court - see here and/or contact Citizens Advice Bureau for advice. However, without a written receipt or any other form of agreement in writing, I'm sorry to say that I suspect her chances of getting her money back are slim to non-existent as it will be her word against previous landlord's.

Even though you are friends, I would strongly recommend against getting involved and keeping the lodger/landlady side of your relationship strictly business.

Thank you,

I thought she might have to deal with small claim court... I told her I couldn't help her more in this matter with her previous landlord.

As for me, I do a written lodger agreement, and I provide a receipt for the deposit, and then, no surprise.

I'm still shocked that some live-in landlords think they can keep deposit and rule above the law. OK it's just a lodger, but they pay to live there...

Fair enough most people who take on lodger is for financial reason, but if someone pays on time, gave deposit and hasn't caused havoc but just want to move out, the least you can do is being honest and give the deposit back...

We'll see if she gets is. I told her as the deposit cover 2 weeks rent, she should keep the key until then, and come to do her washing up and take shower etc, as she's paid for it! a bit cheeky but why should she give that money up?

It's landlords like that that give the rest of us a bad name unfortunately. I always give receipts and bank deposit in a separate savings account - just a regular one in my name, but it keeps that money 'out' of my regular day to day finances.

My very good lodger has been away a lot (days running into weeks just recently) and a bit non-communicative recently and his personal circumstances make me suspect that he may be wishing to move out shortly. I wouldn't take it personally, but would like to know if he is going to leave so I can advertise in good time and not have the room empty for too much longer than it takes me to clean it and get it ready for the next person! Unfortunately, I'm thinking I may get very little or no notice as he just doesn't want to tell me because of previous bad experiences (his last landlady sounded like a bit of a nightmare, his life was hell during the notice period from the sounds of it).

Yes, I don't understand how they can get away with it, I remember with a lodger from hell I had, I gave 30 days notice, and ok, it took 10 days to give her deposit back, but only because she left the room in such a state, I had lot of expenses to cover. But I gave deposit minus all the expenses justified with all the receipts (= nothing in my pocket) to put the room back in the state she found it when moving in.

Anyway, the friend moved in this weekend, and she managed to have half her deposit back. So I guess it's better than nothing. They deducted the extra 4 days that run out her monthly rent and they pretexted that she didn't give 2 weeks notice but a bit less so kept half. A bit cheeky, but eh... as I said, better than nothing. they sounds a bit desperate for money, and to me, it is not good. OK having a lodger should be a plus financially but you shouldn't rely exclusively on that.

I understand your concern about your lodger moving out, but if he has a notice period then it's only fair he informs you, maybe you can politely remind him that? Maybe he feels awkward, but if you have a chat with him and showing that him leaving is not really an issue, he might b more enclined to say when...

My other lodger will leave end of May, and he told me around Christmas, and we're still get on very well. so I thank him for all the notice he gave me. And I hope I'll find someone else as good as him.

I've asked my friend why she waited the last minute to give her notice (i.e. she had 2-weeks and didn't give any longer) and she said, she felt pressured because they were so desperate for money and during all this notice time, they reminded her everyday that she was putting them in financial difficulties... so not very cool. she felt like they'll miss her money, but were not that bothered about her... which is a shame because what a lodger wants, is to feel at home, and you don't when is only about money...

... if you have a chat with him and showing that him leaving is not really an issue, he might b more enclined to say when...

That's if I ever see him! (ain't love grand etc - she has her own place so that's why they spend all their time over there I guess, suits me, I don't want to play gooseberry in my own home!)

oh, so maybe he doesn't want to move out... he might think in a case of breakup, he's still have his place... I mean, your house...

He might just be really smitten, but those things don't last... (unfortunately!) so if you say he's been a good lodger, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt... after all, it's a win-win situation for you, he still pays rent, and you have your own house for yourself :0)

my good lodger is in similar kind of situation, he spends most of his time at hers, but as she was living in council house, he couldn't officially move in with her, otherwise she'd lose her benefits, but now she's pregnant, it's a different story... bless.

so it might work cheaper for him to rent a room in your house but practically live with his girlfriend. Who knows? But yeah, he should communicate with you a bit more... that's bloke for you eh!

as long as his mail keeps coming to your address, I wouldn't worry just yet...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok this is easily solved. Use www.n-l-c.info. Sign up for full membership which costs £60. Then you can get in touch with them as many times as you need over the year and they will sort out all your problems. Let me know how you get on. Good luck.

Ok this is easily solved. Use www.n-l-c.info. Sign up for full membership which costs £60. Then you can get in touch with them as many times as you need over the year and they will sort out all your problems. Let me know how you get on. Good luck.

*points and laughs*

60 quid for someone to tell me what - if you had read the thread properly - I'm seriously not losing any sleep over. I don't think so.

As you have also advertised this link in response to an unrelated thread, I suspect that you are not exactly giving this recommendation objectively - if this isn't "your" site, who are you selling on behalf of?

Bored now.

*points and laughs*

60 quid for someone to tell me what - if you had read the thread properly - I'm seriously not losing any sleep over. I don't think so.

As you have also advertised this link in response to an unrelated thread, I suspect that you are not exactly giving this recommendation objectively - if this isn't "your" site, who are you selling on behalf of?

Bored now.

Looking at the owners name on the whois database it could certainly be his website :)

Archived