F-Prop

Guarantor questions

I've got a prospective tenant who's not working as she's been made redundant... and she's pregnant.

She get's plenty of benefits and has savings but getting her through a credit check could be interesting!

She's asked a couple of questions about guarantors that I'm not really sure about.

Can she have two guarantors (both parents I assume)? I've only ever done one before, not sure how it would work if there are two and I needed to approach them if she defaulted, they would be jointly and severally, responsible like tenants, I assume.

Secondly she's hoping to get back to work soon after, so once she's earning again she's asking if I can remove the guarantors. I've never "removed" one before. I've got appropriate forms they sign to agree to be guarantor but what do I do to take them off. Would we need to start a new 6 month AST?

I know she might not be accepted in the long run, but she's asked a couple of good questions I don't know the answer to, so if nothing else, it's a chance to further my knowledge! :)

Trevor.

Why do you need to take on a prospective tenant such as this?

I know I wouldn't for all the reasons you have stated unless of course there is a cast iron guarantee of payments and legal cover etc.

This has to be a risky tenant surely?

Mel.

Yes I fully agree, probably not the best tenant in the world, and might not grant her a tenancy anyway. However she's asked a couple of good questions which I don't know the answers too...

Secondly she's hoping to get back to work soon after, so once she's earning again she's asking if I can remove the guarantors

Why? I wouldn't in this particular case. Even if you are working it is quite normal to have a guarantor in place.