Cold weather heading to UK

David Buxton

• 2 weeks later...

I avoid HB tenants like the plague.

I only ever had one HB claimant ....he started off as a 'normal working tenant' then lost his job....... but he's working again now with everything back to normal.

I'd rather leave my properties empty or sell than have an HB tenant move in.

I hear nothing but back to back horror stories......why anyone entertains the higher risk by letting to this class of tenant is beyond me !!!!

I avoid HB tenants like the plague.

I only ever had one HB claimant ....he started off as a 'normal working tenant' then lost his job....... but he's working again now with everything back to normal.

I'd rather leave my properties empty or sell than have an HB tenant move in.

I hear nothing but back to back horror stories......why anyone entertains the higher risk by letting to this class of tenant is beyond me !!!!

Well similar thing happen..they started off "working" then onto HB. . . . this must be payback from a previous life :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Hi tinkerbell

in brief, they stopped paying rent in sept and have since vandalised my house (smashed windows and front door)..

If they have not paid rent since sept how come you have not served notice , either S8 and/or S21...you would be well on the way to getting them out by now...one thing I have learnt is to act on the arrears very quickly,it's tempting to keep going each month listening to their promises and hoping that will be the month they pay, but all that is doing is making the whole process longer

Exactly and i think they are still getting HB because i contacted the council and they replied saying "we are investigating the matter we will get back to you in a MONTH" pfft!

if you fill in the Appropriate forms to have the benefit paid directly to you(if they are two months in arrears) it won't take a month the council act on it quickly sometimes even before the tenant gets their next payment...if they are investigating whether they are entitled to the benefit then you will be notified when it stops, in the mean time you will get the money...simples!

I too no longer take benefit tenants , and my latest one that I have just got possession of the property are working.

Hi Julles

i have got a possession order..they should have been out last week but they are enjoying the rent free lifestyle so waiting for the bailiffs...this is going to take a while, bailiffs are booked upto April...so in the meantime i keep paying for their "quiet enjoyment" or not? if someone can enlighten me on that: am i still legally obliged to carry on paying the utility bills? if not i will disconnect everything.

Hope it snows more....

If you are renting a whole house then you should not be paying the utility bills at all, they should be in their name...unless you did that as part of the tenancy:blink:

Unlucky they didn't go on the court possession date ...I am lucky mine went a few days before and I have possession back today.

Have you seen the post from law Enforcement through the high court

Yes it will cost extra but given you will be losing the rent untill April it could help you.

Not sure if disconnecting is a legal way of going forward,perhaps let us know your info and someone may be able to offer that bit extra advise .

Not sure if disconnecting is a legal way of going forward,perhaps let us know your info and someone may be able to offer that bit extra advise .

TOTALLY ILLEGAL to disconnect any utility supply to a tenant wether rent is paid or not........ BIG penanlties will result if you do.

Hi again...just a quick question..in the event of an eviction if one of the tenants is away/not in does the eviction still go ahead? this raises my other question; what happens with any possessions that are left behind?

from what i read the bailiffs are in and out.

if they do leave stuff behind can i charge them daily for keeping their rubbish or do i need to take it to those storage places and just send them the bill, what i dont like about this idea is if i do store it in one of those places knowing them they may just not bother claiming back their stuff and i will end up out of pocket as i can guess i am legally bound to keep their filthy belongings.

:(

Don't think that all HB tenants are bad.

We have 30 properties rented and would say that 25 are on some sort of benefit, get very few problems.

Have we just been lucky over the last 30 years?

i don't/ its just me i have bad luck/ i am glad you have never had any problems, i wouldnt wish this nightmare on anyone, i am hopeful these two parasites will one day get what they deserve.

Don't think that all HB tenants are bad.

We have 30 properties rented and would say that 25 are on some sort of benefit, get very few problems.

Have we just been lucky over the last 30 years?

Well, if its all the same to you I'm happy to continue to believe that ALL HB tenants are worse than bad.

Well done you if you have found them OK.......but I'm not about to change my opinion or let them anywhere near my valuable property assets.

As I always tell them if they enquire.......there are plenty of landlords who are not so particular and who are happy to carry the extra risk.......I guess you must be one of them.

:(

Could someone please offer some advice; in the event of an eviction if one of the tenants is away/not in does the eviction still go ahead? this raises my other question; what happens with any possessions that are left behind?

from what i read the bailiffs are in and out.

if they do leave stuff behind can i charge them daily for keeping their rubbish or do i need to take it to those storage places and just send them the bill, what i dont like about this idea is if i do store it in one of those places knowing them they may just not bother claiming back their stuff and i will end up out of pocket as i can guess i am legally bound to keep their filthy belongings.

well i have read that link and it doesnt help. The "suggested procedure"

• Make every effort to trace the tenant/s to their new address or contact them through any forwarding address you may have - if i do that i will just be accused of harrassment and stalking

•If you are owed monies you must keep goods for 3 months before disposing of them. If you are not owed money a reasonable period, typically 28 days is acceptable before selling the goods. - i very much doubt they have anything worth selling.

• Write to the tenant by registered post or recorded delivery with a legal notice. This will notify them that the goods are available for collection and that they will be kept for up to three months. - Again if i do this i will be accused of allsorts.

• Make sure your notice clearly identifies you as the landlord and gives full contact details for yourself as landlord and include complete contact details. - They already have all my details, as a result i live in fear.

• If the goods remain unclaimed after 3 months you can sell them to a buyer, who will receive good title to them. The original owner will therefore lose all rights to the goods. - what?

• Once you have covered your expenses in this process and any rent arrears etc, any proceeds left over will belong to the original owner , your tenant, if they should turn up and claim within six years - yeah right this is a joke i assume.

:/

well i have read that link and it doesnt help.

Tough.

You asked for advice....I offered it. You could keep looking in the hope of finding an answer that suits you better......but I'm not sure you will find it.

As for me.......I'm out.

Goodbye.

Archived