Issued with Section 8 Notice to sign.. at beginning of tennancy?

Nem88

Hi,

As the title suggests - I was issued with a section 8 notice I was asked to sign at the beggining of my tennancy (With the contract & inventory).

At the time I didn't think to question it - The letting agent said there was nothing to worry about and its just if.. ' People can be good tennants for a couple of years and then fail to pay rent - we like to give them the benifit of the doubt, but if we don't recieve payment this allows us to move to court faster'. So under Grounds 8.

Now, I'm in quite a secure Job, and the rent is very affordable for me. So in one respect, I don't think it will ever be a problem.

I was just wandering if this was legal - and if I find myself in the same situation again at the beginning of a different tennancy am I able to refuse without complication?

Guest caravanj

Hi,

As the title suggests - I was issued with a section 8 notice I was asked to sign at the beggining of my tennancy (With the contract & inventory).

At the time I didn't think to question it - The letting agent said there was nothing to worry about and its just if.. ' People can be good tennants for a couple of years and then fail to pay rent - we like to give them the benifit of the doubt, but if we don't recieve payment this allows us to move to court faster'. So under Grounds 8.

Now, I'm in quite a secure Job, and the rent is very affordable for me. So in one respect, I don't think it will ever be a problem.

I was just wandering if this was legal - and if I find myself in the same situation again at the beginning of a different tennancy am I able to refuse without complication?

That's odd, it's normally a Section 21 since there wouldn't be any grounds for a Section 8 before you'd moved in!

A Section 21 can be issued at the start of a tenancy because it does speed up the court process by a couple of months if the landlord needs to get the property back for whatever reason.

• 1 month later...

The letting agent said there was nothing to worry about and its just if.. ' People can be good tennants for a couple of years and then fail to pay rent - we like to give them the benifit of the doubt, but if we don't recieve payment this allows us to move to court faster.

• 1 month later...

I think you mean Section 21 as Caravan suggests. If it was issued on same day as tenancy started it is invalid anyway. Just answer us - was it Section 21?

Yes, this is quite common and can't be acted on until you get into arrears as they agent suggested or landlord wants his property back for some reason.

Mortitia

Archived