ENDING A CONTRACT EARLY

Barnsleybob

on the 25th Sep I signed up for 12months on a flat with a private landlord. My whole intentions was to eventually buy. anyway the last week the man downstairs told me he is selling his flat so I want to buy it. I have been told I can get the mortgage. I didnt realise something I wanted would come up so quick. No Im looking to leave my rented apartment but unsure if I have to just serve notice or be liable for 11 more months at £360 a month. If so I cannot afford to take out this mortgage.

This is what it reads.

SERVICE OF NOTICES.... ANY NOTICE TO BE SERVED HEREUNDER SHALL BE DEEMED PROPERLY SERVED IF SERVED BY FIRST CLASS POST TO THE PROPERTY OR OFFICE OF THE LANDLORD, OR HAND DELIVERED.

Other subheadings include MARKET RENT ASSESMENT BY RENT ASSESMENT COMMITEE, PAYMENT OF RENT AND OTHER CHARGES, DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, PREPERATIONS BEFORE GIVING UP PROPERTY,SUBLETTING,PETS,AND ADDRESS FOR SERVICE OF NOTICE.

Im guessing the only thing I should be reading is the SERVICE OF NOTICE section. And thats all it reads.

• 2 weeks later...

Normally if you sign up for a tenancy the you are liable for the rent for the remainder of the tenancy or until the Landlord has another tenant if you decide to leave early.

However it may be possible to negotiate with your landlord as if he can find another tenant he may be happy to agree to end the contract.

But you will also be liable for his costs in finding another tenant.

Dont forget buying the other flat may still take a month or two , so if you discusssed it with your landlord, and gave him/her plenty of notice and was co-operative then you may be ok .

Archived