Ending Contract early

kayk88

Ok, thanks Richlist. I was under the impression that the compensation for non-deposit protection was pursued through the small claims court?

I'm fairly sure that a claim of this kind cannot be made through the small claims court........perhaps somebody else can confirm ?

In addition, I have heard that nobody has actually successfully managed to claim the full compensation. It would be a pretty stupid landlord who, on being taken to court for failing to protect the deposit, actually failed to protect it immediately prior to the court case.

Ok, thanks, my landlord has confirmed to me (by email) that he has not ever protected my deposit in a DPS, and has only just done so now that i've raised the issue. He also claims that he has backdated the protection and that the DPS are happy with this, i thought that 'back-dating' protection like this was impossibl? I'm getting a bit worried here that my landlord may be a bit of a crook.

Edit - I've tried googling it and looking through the DPS website, but can't find an answer, anyone know if this is possible or is he lying to me?

Edit - I've tried googling it and looking through the DPS website, but can't find an answer, anyone know if this is possible or is he lying to me?

No idea......but why does it matter ? The important part is that the deposit is protected. Make sure YOU receive the prescribed deposit notice that must be sent to the tenant.

I've tried googling it and looking through the DPS website, but can't find an answer, anyone know if this is possible or is he lying to me?

Ask him for a copy of the DPS reference number. No reference provided will confirm your suspicions leaving you to take the appropriate actions.

Mel.

No idea......but why does it matter ? The important part is that the deposit is protected. Make sure YOU receive the prescribed deposit notice that must be sent to the tenant.

Ok, thanks, it doesn't really matter, i just wondered if it was yet another lie. I have spoken to the other two tenants here (its a 3 person HMO) and neither of them have had a DPS notification either, and one of them has been here for multiple contracts now. I just get the feeling that the landlord is up to something and i don't like it.

Edit - Spoke to DPS and they have said that the tenancy start date on the DPS can be backdated, but that the protection still does not start until the DPS is actually in place. So my deposit was unprotected for over a year, but is protected now.

Archived