New gas flue regulations

PHo

The vent flue for the gas boiler of my neighbour's flat runs through my ceiling void on its way to an outside wall. This has been permissible since 2001 and my flat was built after that. The new gas regulations require that from 2013 this flue must be capable of inspection along the whole of its length, and that if necessary inspection hatches must be fitted in the ceiling to allow this. My lease gives my neighbour right of access for inspection and repair, but she must make good any damage. It does not give her a right to make permanent changes to my property, and these would be unsightly and potentially detrimental to the resale price. Must I allow her to do this, or can I refuse? If as a consequence of a refusal her boiler is cut off at the first service after 1.1.2013, as seems likely, who will be responsible? She could convert to an electric boiler, or reroute the flue, but either would involve her in considerable expense.

I can't be the only person with this problem - can anyone throw any more light on the situation?

I spoke to my Son about this problem....and he is a Gasafe registered engineer and he has confirmed your details about access to flue pipes etc.

This has come about apparently due to 2 deaths from carbon monoxide poisening due to damaged / leaking boiler flue vents running through roof voids under floorboards/ceilings.

This explains the requirment in detail:

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/advice/flues_in_voids.aspx

I would say that you will not be able to stop your neighbour from having inspection hatches fitted as this is a safety issue both to you and them. We shall see. No doubt there will be some form of legal case nearer the time.

In the meantime as you can see you or your neighbour have to fit CO alarms.

Mel.

It does indeed apply to exisiting flues, Mortitia, but hidden flues were only permitted in buildings after 2001. As Mel says it is a safety issue. Looking at the gas acts and regulations I can't find any power to instal hatches in someone else's property when there are alternatives - relocating the flue within the adjacent property or switching to electric. The regs just say the boiler must be switched off if you don't have them. Thanks Mel for your response - we already have a CO alarm so we are Ok for the moment

I am a Gas Safe Engineer. As previous poster said...go to GAS SAFE REGISTER (it's not Corgi anymore) website and have a look at TB008 (Technical Bulletin from GAS Safe) which is a more user friendly guide to the flues in voids issue. You have a grace period until Jan 2013 but, in the interim, your neighbour's boiler at any inspection by a qualified engineer will have to pass a "Risk Assessment" and it will only be allowed to remain operational providing this risk assessment is passed. If it does not it has to be shut off and classified "At Risk". The only option as you say is to have inspection hatches fitted (must satisfy distance and size criteria) or you neighbour will have to have the flue re-routed. If the boiler is a Powermax then it exactly this type of boiler that has had FIV issues and one of the reasons why TB008 has been introduced.

The important thing is that the whole route of the flue can be inspected. I don't know how long the void is but instead of hatches could you not put in place a piece of MDF or equivalent along the entire length of the void which can be simply unscrewed at every inspection? A lot of my customer's are doing this? Just a suggestion....

• 1 year later...

Hi there, we wrote this blog to answer questions about the regulations and also provide a solution

http://www.electric-heatingcompany.co.uk/index.php/category/blog/

Here is where you can buy the Slim Jim boiler which can fix this issue at a low cost

http://www.electric-heatingsupplies.co.uk/slim-jim-electric-flow-boilers-c-93.html

Happy to answer any other questions.

'Erm Well, yes if you want to waste money on a new electrical installation.

Most Gas engineers will now carry an introscope to inspect hidden flue's and joints. We do.

Yes, there will have to be an inspection panel at some point along the run of the flue but in most cases it will only be one access point required.

So £50 or so for an inspection panel cut-away or a large wedge of cash to have a new electric installation plus the removal of your old gas fired system? Your decision.

My one and only flat in my portfolio is all electric heating and hot water. :D

Archived