Sign in to follow this  
beilav

Storage Heaters

Hi there,

You need to get storage heaters installed by a professional, qualified electrician.

Personally I hate the things and think them very inefficient but if you have no gas supply to the property they will do at providing background heating. Consider providing a back up in the form of a panel heater with gives instant heat when it is extra cold.

My personal favourite for lets without central heating is the 'plasma' gas fire. 100% fuel efficient and instant heat, good to look at and tenants prefer gas I find. This needs to be installed by a gas safe person and needs a landlords gas certicate yearly. It doesn't need a flue and just hangs on the wall.

Mortitia

10-15 years ago storage heaters were highly inefficient, they normally ran of heat by 8pm when you needed them add the fact that homes were also poorly insulated years back, this led to further inefficiencies in using storage heaters. Things have changed now as a lot of storage heaters have inbuilt on demand heaters, giving the user the opportunity to top up the heat as when required. Also insulation of houses have improved and there are grants to help improve insulation in a house.

Personally i think storage heaters for flats are perfect, Wickes do some energy efficient ones and an electrician should charge around £50.00 to fit depending on the electrical sources available.