Debt to Collect, no Tenant details HELP

nb1745

I hope someone may be able to help.

Can I submit an EX324 if I only have the last known address and not current address? Will an EX324 form mean that the Council and/or my ex-tenants parents HAVE to divulge the new address and earnings to me/court?

Here's the story...

I evicted a tenant of my sole investment property in May, obtaining an Order for Possession from my County Court and the court also ordered the tenant to pay the outstanding rent arrears.

I have followed everything as 'down the line' as possible and gone through the respected and legal routes of reclaiming what I am owed.

After securing the return of the deposit from the DPS and also some Housing Benefit money direct from the HBA (who were quite helpful in assisting whilst the tenant was in my property), I am still owed money.

Unfortunately, I only have the last known address for the tenant as the parents address. Previous attempts to ask for a forwarding address have been denied.

Has anyone got any suggestions please??

Thanks

This is probably not the suggestion you're looking for.....

Consider:

- How much are you actually owed? What proportion in relation to overall tenancy period? Regard it as a business loss.

- Is the ex-tenant likely to be able to pay? Probably not. Or maybe only in small instalments you'll be for ever waiting for.

- Although you have a CCJ you will have further legal costs to firstly find the person and secondly reclaim your money. Is it worth pursuing?

- You have had a successful repossession, the deposit money, and help from HBA. Put this episode behind you and let your business move on with a new tenant.

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion...... I too would like to see it.

I'm afraid Im inclined to agree with the above. sometimes you do have to cut your losses in business. You not only have to factor in court costs which are going to be even more difficult to get back, you've also got to reckon on what your time is worth because this is something you can never get back, and it might be better spent making new money rather than chasing a bad debt. Sometimes I've had to gio down the small claims route, but when I have my evidence has been siccinct and watertight and its taken half an hour do do it online - generally I reckon that having to go beyond that is usually a phyric victory, no one wins overall even if you reclaim some of the money.

I totally agree with Chestnut and Cbos.

Sometimes it is hard to walk away but as you spend more time as a landlord you will realise that the 'on to the next' approach is more positive than grieving over lost rent and someone who probably always live thier life like that - being in debt.

Put it down to experience.

Mortitia

Archived