No notice given for viewing

kasia1987

Hi,

I am currently renting a property that was introduced through a agent but not managed by them. My tenancy was for a 6 month period from the 2nd February 2010 onwards, I received a text message from my landlord a few weeks before the end of the 6 months asking if I was staying any longer, at this stage I was thinking about moving out with my partner and made a quick choice to say I was not staying. I then found it very hard to find a new property to move into and called my landlord to see if I was able to stay a little longer, he at this stage said I can take as long as I need and pay him weekly or monthly for the time I was staying. on the 10th September I received a call from him saying that someone was moving into the property on the 18th so I needed to be out.

This came as a shock considering only a matter of days earlier I had spoken to him and he again said take as long as you need. I have since spoken to the new agency that is handling the property and asked how the new tenant knew they wanted the place as I had nothing to say that someone was coming to view it. I was informed at this stage that the agent showed the new tenant round on the 7th September.

I know that there is a rule that says you have to give the current tenant 24 hours notice before any viewing, would I have the same rights considering my tenancy had technically ended but had been extended verbally?? please help lol

• 4 weeks later...

I think the difficulty you are going to have here is showing that the private verbal arrangement you had with your landlord constituted a contract - its pretty much your word against his. however if he is still taking money from you for rent then that might be enough to constitute a cotnract and for your rights still to apply - I'm not 100% sure.

• 1 month later...

I think the difficulty you are going to have here is showing that the private verbal arrangement you had with your landlord constituted a contract - its pretty much your word against his. however if he is still taking money from you for rent then that might be enough to constitute a cotnract and for your rights still to apply - I'm not 100% sure.

Save all text messages and voicemails and if possible, communicate by e-mail so its in writing!!

• 1 month later...

The existing AST has rolled over into a periodic tenancy and of course there is a contract. cbos you are wrong..

Since tenant has a contract then she must be given 8 weeks notice if her landlord wants her to go. No tenant has to allow viewings but it is considered polite to allow viewings at 24 hours minimum notice.

I agree, keep all texts and emails as they can form evidence if the case goes to court.

Mortitia

Archived