Additional tenant moving in

F-Prop

Not sure on this one...

My tenant is going away to get married and wants her husband to move in when she returns. I issued a new 6 month AST (currently on a periodic tenancy) in joint names but she's dug her heels in and won't sign. It turns out she wants to move soon so that's why but I'd rather she stayed!

Any advice, should I have issued a new tenancy or just added the name to the existing one? Remember her name will change too once she is married, so would the old tenancy even be legal?

Many thanks,

Trevor.

Hi,

Well firstly, is hubby 'to be' alright - I mean is he a debtor or got credit probs and who he says he is - you really need to reference him and check his ID before he moves in.

If he checks out OK then I'd go for the new AST with the right names on just to be on the safe side and keep things simple.

Why won't she sign? The notice period will be the same. Perhaps she knows he has had probs in past or maybe she is not really marrying him. You are right to be cautious and whose property is it anyway? I recommend being assertive. Would asking to see the marriage cert be asking too much!

If tenant is thinking of moving you have to accept that all good things come to an end.

Mortitia

I would concur with Mortitia comments.

Golden rule... check and check again who is going to be living in your property.

Better to be assertive now then trying to recover the situation at a later date.

Mel.

Thanks, yes I though I was doing the right thing by forcing a new tenancy.

She's been a good tenant, and she said she was going home (India) to get married then bring her husband back to the UK. She asked me for a letter to send to the embassy to confirm he could move in. As I believed her story I decided not to run a credit check as he would not have a job etc.

I'm just wondering... am I being played for a fool here... is she using me to get her "husband" though immigration.

Comments, thoughts anyone?

Trevor.

OMG Trevor!! Reallity check!

I almost asked in my first reply if this person was from the Indian sub-continent or similar but thought I might get branded a rascist. I am 90% sure this is a con. Do not get involved. What a racket that could be if he was allowed in by immigration then they leave your property suddenly. She gets paid off and then goes and does it again somewhere. Nice work.

Either do it the way Mel and me suggest or lose the tenant. Do not allow anyone to live in your property who you cannot ID or check out especially where you end up being their 'sponsor' by writing to his embassy. If this is genuine insists he gets a visa as the law says.

A couple of years ago I was asked by one of my tenants to put his Filipina sister in law on the tenancy so she could 'come to the UK for naming ceremony of his child'. No way - get a visa like anyone else. She didn't come.

Mortitia

• 2 weeks later...

"It turns out she wants to move soon so that's why but I'd rather she stayed!"

tickled me this! :(

"Thanks, yes I thought I was doing the right thing by forcing a new tenancy."

But not as much as this! :D

She's going to go soon anyway so what's the problem?

This is why she doesn't want to sign, nothing to do with you allowing or not the new arrival in my opinion.

You don't need to send any letters to anyone if you don't wish to so as Rodent suggests, get the guy checked out, ask for lots of cash upfront and let them crack on with it.

Archived