Compulsory bathrooms in unmodernised flats

Mortitia

Hi,

My elderly uncle has been living in an unmodernised flat in London since the 1960's. He has a fixed plumbed in bath in the kitchen which has a worktop over it and a separate loo but no proper bathroom. He is quite happy with this arrangement and does not want to move.

He is on a regulated tenancy ( ie no AST or rent book) but his landlord applies to the local council to increase the rent by a small amount each year. His rent is very low at £380pcm. Recently the landlord has said he is selling the flat because a new law says he has to put in a bathroom and the income from the flat makes it not worthwhile.

Is this true about the new law? If so what/where is it? And can the purchaser force him to have a bathroom fitted?

Mortitia

Hi,

My elderly uncle has been living in an unmodernised flat in London since the 1960's. He has a fixed plumbed in bath in the kitchen which has a worktop over it and a separate loo but no proper bathroom. He is quite happy with this arrangement and does not want to move.

He is on a regulated tenancy ( ie no AST or rent book) but his landlord applies to the local council to increase the rent by a small amount each year. His rent is very low at £380pcm. Recently the landlord has said he is selling the flat because a new law says he has to put in a bathroom and the income from the flat makes it not worthwhile.

Is this true about the new law? If so what/where is it? And can the purchaser force him to have a bathroom fitted?

Mortitia

Not that I am aware of however I know DSS/ Councils won't accept Tenancies on bathrooms that are over 20 years old (I think)

The landlord would be better off banging in a new cheapy suite and raising the rent to an acceptable level and claiming the tax relief imo.

Mel.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that Mel.

Richmond on Thames council spokesman told me they were trying to bring in a rule where bathrooms on rentals must not be more that 30 years. The legislation has not been passed by central government yet though.

In the case I quote the elderly uncle does not want a bathroom and the disruption of building works. His landlord has sold the flat at auction to avoid this. Extreme maybe but dealing fairly with an elderly tenant with a clued up family may have proved too much for them. I am waiting to see what the next landlord does.

Mortitia

Archived