Electricians costs

Mortitia

I was quoted £345 to have one fitted. I had just paid £104 for the certificate. Which was failed because of the box.

I trained as an electrician so went out yesterday and bought a new box 17th edit regs compliant, for £97. Included 10 double sockets and 5 Lampholders in the box. Going to fit it tomorrow.

£200 for certificate. Robbery.

And i take it that you are registered with a body like the Niceic, have pub liability and indemity insurance, carried out a full periodic inspection report (with a SATISFACTORY reccommendation) with your appropiate test equipment and up to date calibration certificate, didnt think so, so where is the umbrella (or certification) to cover your backside should ever a tenant recieve a shock in the future????. Sorry to be so blunt, but by posting up messages like this, you percieve my trade as something anyone with some experience can have a go at!!.

Yes i am, and it makes my blood boil when decent sparks abide by the regs, only to have a non part p person decide to install a consumer unit, making a major change to every circuit within the property, it really is a false economy (even during a slowdown) and his backside would be well exposed if the tenant ever recieved a shock, by the way, no sparks worth his salt would ever sign off some one elses work, conflict of interest arises, the electrician wants to get paid for an agreed amount of work, notices some deviations from the regs, and the customer doesnt want the hassle of walls being chased out, floorboards lifted etc IT SIMPLY ISNT WORTH IT!

Cheers Alan

I have just had a sleepless night wondering if I am just about to pay too much for fuseboard changes at 2 properties.

Both are Barratt houses built in 1980ish but with old type pull out fuses. On one house now vacant my builder noticed that one fuse had a really thick piece of wire put across it (by the last tenant) so I decided to get my usual man and son in to change to a modern unit.

Cost £475 on one and £425 on the other. He wanted to charge me another £200 each house for a certificate. I declined that part. What is going on here? He has done odd stuff for me for years at a reasonable rate so I was really shocked (excuse the pun).

What is everyone else's experience of new fuseboards and do we really need these expnsive certificates?

Mortitia

Mortitia, let me tell you about my first niceic assessment visit, it went a little bit like this:-

Nic Man

So alan, how many fuseboard changeovers have you carried out this year?

Me

3 in total

Nic Man

And where are the Periodic Inspection Reports to go with them?

Me

They declined, and signed a disclaimer to state as such

Nic Man

Let me tell you 1 thing Mr Alan, if the 80 year old grannie(can't remember exact analogie) comes home, operates a metal light switch, receives a shock and dies, YOU as the last person to have made a major change on EVERY circuit within that property will be taken to court, they WILL SUCCESSFULLY argue that they did not know what they were signing a disclaimer for, lose the case, and have to sell your house (sole trader) to pay the fees etc. In future, no Pir, no fuseboard changeover.

Me

**** me i thought, that guy put it SO plainly across that it scared the wotsits out of me, but, it has NEVER been forgotten since. The correct way for a fuseboard change over is as follows:

1/

I have just had a sleepless night wondering if I am just about to pay too much for fuseboard changes at 2 properties.

Both are Barratt houses built in 1980ish but with old type pull out fuses. On one house now vacant my builder noticed that one fuse had a really thick piece of wire put across it (by the last tenant) so I decided to get my usual man and son in to change to a modern unit.

Cost £475 on one and £425 on the other. He wanted to charge me another £200 each house for a certificate. I declined that part. What is going on here? He has done odd stuff for me for years at a reasonable rate so I was really shocked (excuse the pun).

What is everyone else's experience of new fuseboards and do we really need these expnsive certificates?

Mortitia

<BR>I have just had a sleepless night wondering if I am just about to pay too much for fuseboard changes at 2 properties.<BR><BR>Both are Barratt houses built in 1980ish but with old type pull out fuses. On one house now vacant my builder noticed that one fuse had a really thick piece of wire put across it (by the last tenant) so I decided to get my usual man and son in to change to a modern unit.<BR><BR>Cost £475 on one and £425 on the other. He wanted to charge me another £200 each house for a certificate. I declined that part. What is going on here? He has done odd stuff for me for years at a reasonable rate so I was really shocked (excuse the pun).<BR><BR>What is everyone else's experience of new fuseboards and do we really need these expnsive certificates? <BR><BR>Mortitia<BR>
<BR><BR>Mortitia, let me tell you about my first niceic assessment visit, it went a little bit like this:-<BR><BR>Nic Man<BR><BR>So alan, how many fuseboard changeovers have you carried out this year?<BR><BR>Me<BR><BR>3 in total<BR><BR>Nic Man<BR><BR>And where are the Periodic Inspection Reports to go with them?<BR><BR><BR>Me<BR><BR>They declined, and signed a disclaimer to state as such<BR><BR>Nic Man<BR><BR>Let me tell you 1 thing Mr Alan, if the 80 year old grannie(can't remember exact analogie) comes home, operates a metal light switch, receives a shock and dies, YOU as the last person to have made a major change on EVERY circuit within that property will be taken to court, they WILL SUCCESSFULLY argue that they did not know what they were signing a disclaimer for, lose the case, and have to sell your house (sole trader) to pay the fees etc. In future, no Pir, no fuseboard changeover.<BR><BR>Me<BR><BR>**** me i thought, that guy put it SO plainly across that it scared the wotsits out of me, but, it has NEVER been forgotten since. The correct way for a fuseboard change over is as follows

Provide 2 quotes, 1 for the periodic, 1 for the fuseboard change over. Also include hourly rate and day rate.

Carry out periodic, if ok proceed on to stage 2 and on completion of this hand over electrical installation cert for the installed consumer unit.

If items are found from the pir, these can be addressed via your agreed hourly/ daily rates, then proceed on to stage 2

Simples!

Archived