Do I need to provide white goods for unfurnished let?

baileyclapham

I have tenants moved in, i bought the property only weeks ago and am still finding things out. I advertised for a short let for 3 months while the decorators are in on reduced rent to cover the bills. The new tenants are very happy about this and are supplying their own furniture in the main, however, they tell me i must provide a fridge and a washer dryer and now. The oven and dishwasher are built in so no need to provide.

I just wondered if anyone knew if legally i had to provide it, the advertisement didn't mention white goods. I want to be reasonable but at the same time not under undue pressure to come up with something that is a relatively considerable cost.

Many thanks.

Hi

The answer you require is no, if you do supply then you are liable for it's upkeep.

Some rental properties don't even have a cooker nowadays.

As a word of caution there is no such thing as a 3 month tenancy by default they are a minmum of six months.

I fear you have walked into something you are seriously going to regret, have you set up a tenancy agreement? an inventory? Anything? If you can get a letting agency on toe now they know what they're doing because you will end up getting well shafted.

cheers

Selkirk

You do not need to provide white goods, whenever I do, I make it clear that if they break they will not be replaced (in the tenancy agreement I state they are gifts). It's very important to be clear b4 tenant moves in about what will be provided. This reduces friction and possible resentment from tenant. Tell them white goods where not advertised, so will not be included, but next time be clearer.

Hi There

I'm interested in Reg's reply and whilst I know where he is coming from by stating that white goods are gifts, is he not inviting the tenants to take them at the end of the tenancy?

Also, I assume that they are excluded from the inventory, so the landlord can't claim if they become damaged.

I accept that this approach is fine with older goods of little value which have perhaps been left by previous occupiers but isn't this approach asking for trouble with better items?

Cheers

Gee

Yes Gee, the white goods are either left by previous tenants or I put in second-hand ones (that is if the prospective tenant negiotiate that they want white goods). Washing machines and fridges are both fairly costly AND notorious for breaking down and I make it very clear that they are gifts, so if they go wrong it's not down to me to replace.

And Yes, these white goods are excluded from the inventory. I also check the wiring on these electrical "gifts" to make sure they are safe and working at the start of the tenancy.

I feel that this is fair behaviour as prospective tenants know where they stand at the start of the tenancy. I have not had a tenant so far that has deemed this unfair.

Hi

Legally, the position is:

a) you dont have to provide white goods unless you have said you will

b ) you can "contract out" of repairing white goods, provided this is made clear, preferably (if you ever want to enforce it) in writing within the tenancy agreement. This does not necessarily mean that you have to give the items away at the end of the tenancy, it just means that you wont repair them if they break down and that everyone is clear on this and agrees to this from the start

c) you cannot contract out of your obligation to make sure that all electrical appliances provided are safe - so you will need to have them checked, unless they are new.

What you do and dont provide is an entirely a commercial decision for you.

Good luck

Preston

Hi Baileyclapham,

In my opinion, this is not a legal question (whether to provide white goods or not) but really a commercial question .....

Those landlords who do not provide white goods, do not maintain white goods, do not test white goods !!!! etc etc etc are providing a LESSER service to their tenants than those landlords (like me) that make white goods "negotiable" as part of the tenancy agreement. ie: a tenant faced with equal properties (one with a cooker, one without a cooker) is likely to

choose the one with the cooker over the competitors (thereby minimising my void periods and maximising my competitors void periods).

I would also comment that tenants without cookers can't cook their tea, tenants without washing machines can't wash their clothes!

Minimal void periods will more than pay for the cost of a £250 cooker or a £200 (or less) washing machine .....

I understand all of the arguments from other landlords .... but those landlords who provide a better customer service to their tenants are likely to be more successful.

Mark

Hi there Bailey Clapham,

This might be a bit of a geographical thing. In general in London tenants expect white goods to be supplied and this does make the getting of quality tenants easier in my opinion. Sounds like these tenants are used to that system.

You choose.

Best of luck,

Mortitia

I never provide white goods such as washing machine, fridge freezers etc.

I always provide a cooker of good quality.

I have never ever lost a tenancy by failing to provide white goods or reduce the rent.

Why do I do this? experience.......I have lost count the number of times washing machines and 'fridges have broken down or as in once case my 'fridge and w/machine were taken on a 'moonlight flit'.

I have just let a flat with no white goods......the new Tenant never queried it......what they saw was what they got and they were very happy.

Mel.

• 2 years later...

Have to agree with Trenners here...while white goods aren't a legal requirement, they're always going to be a necessity for any tenant. A necessity yes, but also a convenience. Of course it is to your digression, but for a modest outlay, you're more likely to either keep the tenancy full or find it easier to attract prospective tenants.

The only thing I'm thinking as you didn't actually mention it at all in your post is - is there a contract? It doesn't really matter what the advert contained, but the contract is all important.

I look forward to your future opinion on the advantages of,

demonstrating condition at check in and check out,

repairing and replacing as required,

organising the annual PAT testing,

cleaning at the end of tenancies,

storing when a T has their own,

upgrading if a T wants bigger or better,

spending your business profits for their advantage.

I provide a functional cooker, adequate floor and window coverings and only redecorate if the condition to re let would call for it (if very poor).

I don't provide 5* comforts, towels or toilet paper as I believe T's that are unable to organise some things in life will be a nuisance T anyway.

Those that don't have anything to contribute to their own home environment will likely be transient or incapable of organising their life and tenancy (payments) to suit me. In short they would need greater management.

I have had and have T's that believe they have checked into a hotel and now the management will take care of all complaints, trouble is I don't agree.

This topic goes back to 2008!!!

So be aware of this when replying.

Christopher Goulds has every right to reply but as you can see he is advertising his landlord's furniture business. :rolleyes:

.........and NO I still wouldn't put white goods in place. :D

Mel.

Archived