Long term tenancy-Risks?

lesleyd

I have an elderly tenant (80+) who is partially sighted in my property. She has applied for Warm Front assistance. The property has a back boiler with a gas fire in front fitted in the chimney recess feeding the central heating system. The boiler has developed a slight leak in its water tank, discovered during a recent Landlord's Certificate gas check, but no boiler engineer will repair or fit a replacement (although new versions of these are still available to buy quite cheaply on Ebay) - insisting that they are only allowed now to supply a new and separate (ie not in the chimney) condensing boiler. I am advised that the extent of the help she can claim via Warm Front vis-a-vis the boiler, seems to depend on her having a 'long term' tenancy agreement. She has occupied the property as a good tenant since August 2006 on a Short Term Assured Tenancy Agreement which I renew every six months.

I am happy for her to stay in the property indefinitely at present, but am worried that if my circumstances change, that under a long term tenancy, I would be unable to cease letting and regain possession in order to sell, or even, perhaps, to use the property for my own occupation should the need arise. I have already spent in excess of a year's rent on the property this summer on updating outer doors and access for her. As a pensioner myself I am dependant on the rental income from this property.

Can anyone advise me :-

1) on the pro and cons short term v long term tenancy agreements in relation to my own protection.

2) any experience of Warm Front assistance allowed to your own tenants would be of interest - she is apparently being capped at £2700. (any balance over which I have to agree to pay - and the warm front person seems to be intent on spending that amount on less immediate things - like double glazing two small windows - the only ones in the property not already double glazed and fitting an enclosed solid fuel fire and sleeving the chimney in the front room - where there is currently an open fireplace.) I have heard of people getting up to £15,000. of work done on their own homes under this scheme ! Am I missing something ?

3) where can I get a draft copy of a longer term agreement if I choose this route.

Help Appreciated !

Hi Lesleyfd,

I have experience with warmfront ......

1) You do not need to establish a long term tenancy with your tenant to qualify for a warmfront grant.

2) Tenants who are elderly and claiming certain state benefit can apply. The tenant is entitled to upto £2700 to improve the energy efficiency of the property.

3) An energy assessor will visit the property and recommend what improvements can be made.

4) Everything that you would ever need to know about warmfront can be found at http://www.warmfront.co.uk

5) I have found warmfront very professional and effective.

However, I am not sure a repair related to a very dodgy back boiler that has failed (or almost failed) a gas safety test falls within the realms of what a warmfront grant is trying to achieve!

As landlord, you are responsible for the maintenance of your property and the safety and well-being of your tenant. If the boiler is bust or dangerous or BOTH then get it fixed ASAP. You have an elderly tenant ...... and winter is approaching ..... and you are penny-pinching over a few hundred quid!

I would expect warmfront to recommend improvements to your property and not to undertake important property repairs that you should have had fixed by now. Landlords like you give the rest of us a bad name!

Mark

Hi Lesleyfd,

I have experience with warmfront ......

1) You do not need to establish a long term tenancy with your tenant to qualify for a warmfront grant.

2) Tenants who are elderly and claiming certain state benefit can apply. The tenant is entitled to upto £2700 to improve the energy efficiency of the property.

3) An energy assessor will visit the property and recommend what improvements can be made.

4) Everything that you would ever need to know about warmfront can be found at http://www.warmfront.co.uk

5) I have found warmfront very professional and effective.

However, I am not sure a repair related to a very dodgy back boiler that has failed (or almost failed) a gas safety test falls within the realms of what a warmfront grant is trying to achieve!

As landlord, you are responsible for the maintenance of your property and the safety and well-being of your tenant. If the boiler is bust or dangerous or BOTH then get it fixed ASAP. You have an elderly tenant ...... and winter is approaching ..... and you are penny-pinching over a few hundred quid!

I would expect warmfront to recommend improvements to your property and not to undertake important property repairs that you should have had fixed by now. Landlords like you give the rest of us a bad name!

Mark

That is an uncalled for comment Mark ! The boiler was tested and found to have a very small water leak AFTER I had just spent £3500 on the property. It not only PASSED its Landlord Check but is not in an unsafe condition. I would also state that the house is in a very good condition otherwise and I maintain it to the highest standards. I am merely trying to anticipate a possible failure and find the least expensive approach to its possible need for repair/replacement in the near future. As I said I am a pensioner myself and not rolling in r'eadies'. A new boiler is not 'just a few pounds' to me. As they will not replace the boiler in its current popsition, considerable pipework is necessary. Quotes I have had have been in the region of £2400.00. I am facing considerable difficulty to fund this. Perhaps you'd prefer that I sold the property and let my tenant take her chances elsewhere? I am doing the best I can to look after her welfare. (by the way, it was the Warm Front rep who told me that I needed a 'long term' tenancy agreement stand a chance of getting the boiler work done)

Lesley

Hi Lesley,

I stand by my comments. Your tenant is paying you a rent in exchange for you providing them with a comfortable home.

The Warm Front grant is to improve energy efficiency and not maintain central heating components that are failing due to their age and "fair wear and tear".

If you can't afford to be a landlord (and maintain your properties) - then you should sell up.

Mark

Hi Lesley,

I stand by my comments. Your tenant is paying you a rent in exchange for you providing them with a comfortable home.

The Warm Front grant is to improve energy efficiency and not maintain central heating components that are failing due to their age and "fair wear and tear".

If you can't afford to be a landlord (and maintain your properties) - then you should sell up.

Mark

My tenant HAS a warm and comfortable home Mark, and she is grateful that I am able and willing to provide that for her. Your reference to 'properties' is inaccurate. I am not some property magnate - I only have the one property If the boiler should fail then I would have to make a decision, until then she is fine, warm and happy.

Maybe then I should take your advice and sell up and let her go back to another cockroach ridden flat such as she was in before - that is if she could find one as the is a dearth of rental properties in that area - I am sure she would, in that event, be really grateful for your, so constructive, opinion.

May I remind you that I asked for advice - not some ill informed and rude opinion which is helpful to no-one, least of all my tenant.

Lesley

Hi Lesley

I hope this little exchange doesnt discourage you from staying and others from joining the forum.

I've only been a member for a short time but have learnt some new things and find the debate quite interesting.

I think that Trenners was too hard on you; your questions seemed very fair and reasonable to me. But everyone has a different style so I wouldnt get too upset by the odd jibe. And just as he is asking you to accept his criticism of you, I have no doubt he will accept others' comments if they think he has been rude.

Preston

Hi Preston - Thank you for that - I must admit this fellow's accusations were making me feel quite sick. I have always taken care of my tenants and my property - it is an investment which I cannot afford to let deteriorate and my tenant is good and reliable. I would not have been researching ways and means of getting her boiler sorted if I had no intention of looking after her welfare.

Lesley

Archived