Notice of eviction from mortgage company cant contact landlord

lester

We rented a house from a private landlord through an agent (they were only employed to find tenants) we signed a 6mth agreement, we moved into the property and have been here a month and paid next months rent, This week a man knocked on the door and handed me a letter which was addressed to our landlord and to all other occupiers, the letter is a notice of eviction and we have to be out in under a month, now neither i or the agent can contact our landlord and we have no idea were we stand? :o

We rented a house from a private landlord through an agent (they were only employed to find tenants) we signed a 6mth agreement, we moved into the property and have been here a month and paid next months rent, This week a man knocked on the door and handed me a letter which was addressed to our landlord and to all other occupiers, the letter is a notice of eviction and we have to be out in under a month, now neither i or the agent can contact our landlord and we have no idea were we stand? :o

Contact your local citizens advice http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Hi Lester

I was talking to an agent today who was dealing with exactly the same kind of situation. Its definitely worth getting some advice. Depending upon exactly what your tenancy agreement says and on the arrangements between your landlord and the mortgagee, its quite possible that you will be entitled to stay at least until the 6 month initial AST has expired.

You will also need to get advice to make sure that any rent payments you make from now on are properly recorded and protected. This is definitely within the scope for an average CAB or local housing advice centre though, so the advice shouldnt cost you anything.

To do a bit of research of your own, type "mortgagee in possession" into google. You will find various articles and websites giving a bit more background to the law in this area and outlining some of the possible scenarios.

Good luck

Preston

Archived