TENANTS HAVE PUT PICTURES UP

heebs

HELLO

I have some tenants who signed a agency contract. i had the house replastered and painted just prior to handing it over to them at great expense. although the contract says not to use sellotape, glue. nails on the walls to hang pictures...other than picture hooks...they have made holes all over the house and hung picture frames.

Now they are swapping over 2 of the current tenants with replacements..can i ask the current tenant to fill the holes and make the wall good again by painting the whole section of wall rather than just painting over the hole which is what they are likely to do (they already painted over scuff marks they caused and it looks very unsightly as you can see the area paintd over as they didnt paint over the whole wall section.

I dont want them to start arguing with me and saying its unreasonable to ask them to apint the whole wall..but these tenants being my first i dont know what my rights are...also i think they might say the contract says they can use picture hooks but my understanding of those are the ones you hang from a picture rail (which we have in the house)...but they havent hung from the picture rail but made holes in the newly plastered walls.

Please can someone give me some advice on this as i am sure this is a common occurance and want to know what LL's expect regarding putting this right.

many thanks in advance

"not to use sellotape, glue. nails on the walls to hang pictures"

Clear as mud !...........personally i would invoice to paint the whole room as touchups look disgraceful..i explain this very clearly to T when they move in and tell them that an room is £125 to redec ..........thay can do it if they like butt if not upto acceptable std i will boll them to do it again ...

Pic hooks should be clearly defind as pic rail hooks in order to avoid further confusion .

No permision ......No nails !!

The Rident

"not to use sellotape, glue. nails on the walls to hang pictures"

Clear as mud !...........personally i would invoice to paint the whole room as touchups look disgraceful..i explain this very clearly to T when they move in and tell them that an room is £125 to redec ..........thay can do it if they like butt if not upto acceptable std i will boll them to do it again ...

Pic hooks should be clearly defind as pic rail hooks in order to avoid further confusion .

No permision ......No nails !!

The Rident

Many thanks Rodent..i am going to them tomorrow ...will let you know if they throw something confusing at me....

Hi Heebs,

They and others might be confused as to what 'picture hooks' that hang from a picture rail are.

Why not supply one packet (available H'base, B & Q) and demonstrate how they work whilst giving them explicit warning as per Rodent about knock in hooks etc. Don't forget some people have never seen a room with a picture rail or realise what it is for which is leading to this damage.

Also you could make a 'special condition' at the last page of the tenancy hi-lighting this and make them initial it. No arguments then about any damage and payment wanted.

None of that is 'unreasonable'.

Mortitia

"Not to make any alterations in or additions to the premises and not to cut, maim,puncture or injure any of the walls, partions, ceilings, floors or timbers of the same ,also , not to glue, stick otherwise fix anuything whatsoever to the exterior or interior of the property without the written consent of the Landlord "

That help ?!!

The Rodent

Many thanks all

i went to them today...one of the girls said she would fill the holes and paint over the holes..when i told her it would require to paint the whole section of the wall..not just the hole..she was a bit miffed but her co tenant agreed with me that it wouldnt look nice to do a patch job and so painting the whole section would be reasonable...phew...its so nice and tension free to get agreeale tenants..

thanks all for your advice..

til next time

I take the middle ground on this. It's not unusual for tenants to want to hang pictures. I advise they're to be properly fitted and nothing excessive. So long as this is met, I leave them for the next occupants explaining there are picture hooks already in place that can be used. Anything else is by written agreement only. Minimizes the opportunity for a nail to go through a plastic water pipe.

Archived