Deposits

Selkirk

...."One flew over the cuckoo's nest"...............

Buy it??

surely you had a complimentary one given to you when you made it Simon . . . haha

As ever YOU think you're correct and s*d anyone else's opinions.

Unfortunately some Landlords feel they know it all because they've had a little success over a short term and think they are indestructible.

It's all fine and dandy until things start to go wrong and they either bail out or become rogue at what they do, not fulfilling THEIR part of the contract etc. And let's remember it IS a contract, a 2 way fixed contract for the term.

My points above (and might I say, all good valid one's because YOU won't) ARE from a business perspective and not a personal one.

As i've said before, you DO occasionally speak a lot of sense and think out your responses well. But it is only occasionally simon and not all the time. Your last post was meant to degrade my opinions and try and belittle them.

a little like a 'bullying' tactic if you ask me, but guess what? This one doesn't get bullied into submission, far from it . . . . .

You keep charging your Tenants the £30, I really don't care. They'll vote with their feet eventually i'm sure . . . ..

I'm happy for my mortgage to be paid and make a few pounds from the rental income but i've already built in possible increases in interest rates so if they do continue to rise then the rent still covers it

VERY GOOD POINT Gareth ! not sure how a few pounds covers increases in interest rates though ....

especially when "The 'extra' money " is about enough to cover "a couple of bottles of wine at christmas and a christmas card"

That mathematically does not add up to covering int rate rises ? and when you cant afford to repair/pay mortgage then another very good point you made ...T either wont get repairs done or will get evicted when your prop is repo..ed?Sounds like you've got it all covered then...

OR wait until your 2 yr deal comes to an end and you havent got a big enough cash stash to refinance (rem fees) cos you have not got this figured into "a few pounds" then we will have the chat again !

You keep charging your Tenants the £30, I really don't care.

I doubt very much if any LL says "That will be £30 to protect your deposit please !" a "set up fee is charged (which is heavily subsidised cost by LL) which covers ast, inventory, referencing and dep protection and,unless you happen to be a LA, does not have any element of profit, rather a loss!

They'll vote with their feet eventually i'm sure . . . ..

I'll keep you posted ! Happy to say that at present 100% let ..to very happy tenants....with a LL who attends to problems ...usually within the hour!

Simon

Very interesting all this.

Two very clear sides emerge.

A LL has a (in)vested interested in the well being and upkeep of the property as well as running the liability of the mortgage and the risk of a rogue T.

A LA only has an interest in their own business and just passes on any problems.

Therefore I see a LL as a honeypot and a LA as a convenience. No LL, no LA and all the other stuff that survives because there are LL’s.

I therefore fall quite firmly on the LL side and as such I am required to maximise my profits as best I can I'm am not a charity. However, I always listen to both sides of any story before I make my own decision.

So all this red, blue, italic and underlined stuff doesn’t affect me, what does is where the Buck Stops and that’s with me.

Bottom line - I have a set of terms and conditions if someone wants to rent my property they either accept them or they go elsewhere it’s their choice, at the moment I must be getting that right as the properties are all full with no imminent changes.

cheers

"The 'extra' money " is about enough to cover "a couple of bottles of wine at christmas and a christmas card"

Don't believe I said that it was 'about enough to cover . .. . ' did I??

Selkirk, don't see this as a landlord v agent argument; the only comments (early ones especially) of J4L's that you'd find in a an agent's handbook are the ones that are obvious to most of us about providing a habitable property and meeting repair obligations.

Get the balance right, maximize your profits, meet your obligations and sleep peacefully, tenant willing.

"providing a habitable property and meeting repair obligations"

so FAIR then!! That's what i've been saying.

Archived