Foul Mouthed Neighbours Putting Of Tennants

jamandco

Hi All

Does anyone have experience of this...

We recently finished a small refurb on a 2 bed house and put it into the hands of an agent to rent out, when the newest prospective tenants where shown round they liked the house and seemed likely to take on a 6 month AST. A few days later I enquired what had been the outcome with the people that had been shown round and this was what happened.

Whilst at the property everything was good and the prospective tenants seemed suitably impressed with what they saw... until that is, all hell broke loose with the next door neighbours shouting abuse at each other, swearing and screaming at the top of their voices at each other and hurling abuse at what seemed to be, small children in the house.

If this was the shape of things to come with neighbours like that, I wouldn't take the house on either.

I've now got a dilemna, because should I say something to these young neighbours from hell and potentialy risk damage to my property when I'm not there because I've said something ,, or should I say nothing and hope it doesn't re-occur, either way I dont want my new tennants unhappy and moving out because of the ante social behaviour of the scallies next door. Apparently according to other neighbours they are well known for this behaviour, with past incidents spilling out into the street to sort out their differences with each other

Any advice would be appreciated folks as I'm now really worried we may not be able to keep decent people interested in this great little property due to the yob element in the street

What would you do in my position??

Thanks again everyone

Could it have been an isolated incident? I bet we can all look back at a point in our lives where others would witnessed us at our worst. If it wasn't an isolated incident I too would sell. I once had to sell a house because of a local brat, he was 16, breaking into the local houses (mine twice), throwing stones at the tenants, shouting abuse etc. I just got fed up and sold after 2 lots of tenants moved out.

i had a local brat, was pinching all the bins in my street and setting fire to them in the adjaicent park, pulled into my street and he was running up the street with my bin, all the rubbish in the street. he was a sixth former in the local school. i used to see him every morn when out with the dog on his way to school, so the following day i had a quiet word in a very secluded park early in the morning. funny, never had any probs from him since, only thing is hes about 20 now and is still growing!

best advice is sell and buy something else.

russ.

This is a one off so far ................so lets not all be so hasty with the "for sale" sign !!!

Monitor situation and if necessary have a word with neighbours if prob persists then call envirinmental sound guys in ..."a quiet word from the right person " can work wonders .......

Or better still find a tenant who is louder than them ...

If house is empty put some classical music on a CD timer for 3 in the morning 3 times a week for an hour !!

Simon

If house is empty put some classical music on a CD timer for 3 in the morning 3 times a week for an hour !!

Simon

Heard about a place where lots of my fellow nationality travellers moved onto a green beside some houses. Cops could do bugger all and same with council. One guy set the speakers in his garden and pumped out rock music for 2 days despite the hassle and crap from all his neighbours. Told the cops to F*** off.

After 2 nights of no sleep the Travellers left and all of a sudden he was a hero to the neighbours and they all wanted to tell him that but he just told them as he told the cops to F*** off and stop annoying him.

When asked eventually a long time later did he hate travellers he said "No as they created less of a mess than people in houses would if they had no one to collect the bins and no water or toilets it was just he felt that they didn't really deserve to have to put up with his annoying two faced spineless property price obsessed neighbours so he was warning them away".

Heard about a place where lots of my fellow nationality travellers moved onto a green beside some houses. Cops could do bugger all and same with council. One guy set the speakers in his garden and pumped out rock music for 2 days despite the hassle and crap from all his neighbours. Told the cops to F*** off.

After 2 nights of no sleep the Travellers left and all of a sudden he was a hero to the neighbours and they all wanted to tell him that but he just told them as he told the cops to F*** off and stop annoying him.

When asked eventually a long time later did he hate travellers he said "No as they created less of a mess than people in houses would if they had no one to collect the bins and no water or toilets it was just he felt that they didn't really deserve to have to put up with his annoying two faced spineless property price obsessed neighbours so he was warning them away".

Thanks everyone :) not ready to sell yet , as we're trying to build a portfolio not dismantle it.....best I think, if we monitor the stuation first as rodent suggests and perhaps shop around for some Mozart , I hear Woolies do a bogof on classical !

Thanks all, for the sound advice, joking aside though its got me bothered, but I suppose its all relative to ones own portfolio size, if I'd got 100 props I suppose it wouldn't be such a mind monster to deal with, but because we only have 4 at present , the one that could be a potential loss is very worrying

keep you posted on outcome

cheers

This is a tricky one and only you can decide, but I've got to agree witht the guys. If it was your residential home then you could put a plan of action in place to deal with this. But you are not there monitor your property and the chances are that this crowd could make you regret taking action. Talk to the neighbours covertly to ascertain if this is an isolated incident or a pattern of behaviour.

You are not emotionally attached to this prop. so offload it before it gives you more grief. Chances are you will have a very high turnover of tenants (costly) and worse tenants phoning you at all hours complaining about the neighbours and god forbid, asking to be let out of their lease early and (probable) withholding rent until you take action.

I have the opposite situation, one of my best tenants, best yields, early payer (nice as pie to me and even keeps the flat lovely), is apparently a maniac after midnight. I would love to keep him on, but I am under intense pressure from other residents and the management company to get rid of him - and that is what I am doing. Even though something does not make good business sense, for a quiet life, to do the right thing and because I do want to keep building my portfolio and retain my sanity, he has to go.

Other than that, advertise for loud badly behaved tenants, take a wad up front and let them get on with it!

Yes, get rid of property if possible otherwise it's a rod for your own back. Gets even messier when people complain to you about being complained about and demand information provided to you to be released under Freedom of Information Act, then original complainant complains about the other party counter complaining etc etc. Ultimately, it's a job for the council's environmental services and Police but that's another minefield. Not good so avoid potential for conflict in this scenario and cut losses.

I have a property with a similar problem and have owned it for 7 years the neighbours are still in situ ...and yes some tenants stay 6 months one stayed 2 years !

Is it for sale ? Nope ..!

Have you guys all lost the plot "sell sell sell................." buying and selling houses is an expensive process and decisions like this should not be made on a whim or a few "isolated" occurences....

I suggested classical music as it has a calming effect .....appperently .....

Has anyone stopped to check out whether these neighbours are owner occupiers or tenants either private or council ...as pressure could be brought to them ....

and they could leave soon any way !

Also if LL then get the tel no and ring them on every ocassion that there is a problem especially at 3am (give no to tenants to ring )

If it is a continual problem then diarise events and use a cam corder - it is fairly easy to remove "nosiy" tenants if they are persistant ......(environmental services)

Personally i would wait and see -NOT SELL "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This kind of thing comes with the territory of being a LL and running away from problems and creating mountains out of mole hills is clearly not the way forward..........!!

Simon

I don't think so, because if you buy this property and plan to make this neighbourhood your home, you can deal with the rabble yourselves with innovative tricks, the law, council and hopefully other neighbours behind you. You can protect your property because it's yours and you're there... Of course it's a hassle, but if you're the owner, you'll deal, if you're the tenant, you'll be giving the keys back. Hopefully, if it's a refurb, then there's some profit there already.

Easy Guys !!

You know me ....I dont like to give up and be beaten quite so easily !!!!!

Always like to turn over a few stones then some more before taking the final option !

These guys may only have a row once every 6 months ....???

Time to speak to the neighbours and get a clearer pic of the problem maybe?

I actually lived in a flat for 6 years with neighbours like this ......it was free entertainment ...!!!

Simon

Archived