First Time Letting My House & Non-Paying Tenants Already

Great Fandango

Hi

Just wanted to update everyone. After taking all your advice and using all your tips - I wanted to let you all know that I have now received my rent and am up to date!! Hooray!

I am wondering whether they will pay the rent in September (I have issued a S21 so they are due to leave 30th Sept) but I have the bond which was a months rent already so at least I won't be out of pocket!

Good news all round. Thanks everyone.

Have they confirmed that they will be leaving at the end of sept??

For God's sake dont wait until then to find out .....keep talking and keep tabs on situation ...i would try to negotiate them leavinf at least a day earlier (so that you have opp to clean ...you know ..for the new tenants ...) also ask q's like "have you got somewhere to move to yet ? Do you need a reference ?etc

Simon

Been following this avidly- Fandango, did you get any money back?

Wish you the best either way.

I have been renting my property to a really sweet bunch via an extremely rude letting agent. I am planning to take over the letting dealings myself and absolutely cacking it <technical term> :)

Udhi

Hi Mouse

No need to "cack it " just make sure you assume every T will try to have your trousers down at at every available opportunity and put systems in place to deal with problems at the beginning -NOT at the end !

Loads of free advice and opinions on here to draw help from !

You will be pleasantly surprised that the vast majority of T are very nice tidy people -until things go wrong that is !!

Becomming a LL is a learning curve - quite a long steep and one on occasions!

There is no substitute for experience (my beef with LA as most have very little ...!)

The biggest area to avoid problems is right at the beginning when selecting a T - Do A1 referencing (www.tenantref.com) take photo id (passport D/L) get as many contact details and alt addresses as possible (work-next of kin etc ) get NI no (and as many other contact no's as possible) If a guarantor is required make sure you use same approach with them ...

I find the mere mention of "proper" referencing tends to make most of the "idiots" dissappear ...on their own !!!

When some one is late with rent- come down on them hard and very fast .....so that they are put off trying it again ..if they persist, have systems in place to make this a very expensive option - to act as a deterrent ....

Read this, and other forums in detail as we have all been where you are now and have survived to tell the tale ......LOL

Simon

Hello Simon,

Thanks for that. I think I will give it a go, although some of the horror stories in here suggest it might be worth me reapplying for my firearms license, as a prerequisite! :unsure:

Re the legal bits - I hear that I can buy pre-made letting contracts from places like WH Smith (??!!). How does this work? Or is it wiser to get one made by a solicitor, at least when starting out? Basically who do I get these things from?

I have taken on board the use of FLS Tenant Referencing and will look for a Debt Collectors who draw their fees from the T.

Warmest Regards

Archived