who must be named as the landlord?

staceynye

Hi, new to this, but looks a really informative and honest site. I am in the position where I may have to let two of my properties, one which is in my sole name and the other is owned jointly.

I have had the opportunitiy to go abroad with my job and it's just as we complete on our house purchase. We have spoken to my partner's company and they would be keen to rent the property from us for some of their 'people'. They have requested however, that they 'don't know' that he owns the property because of a potential conflict of interest.???

Is it possible to have a tenancy agreement between myself as the lardlord and the new tenants, even if the property is jointly owned?

Hi twobe,

I'm sure the "legal beagles" on the forum will correct me - but I think an Assured Shorthold Tenancy MUST be between a landlord and a tenant. This means that it cannot be used to let to a company who then put "people" into the property. ie: it cannot be used for a Company Let.

I'm not sure what type of agreement needs to be used for a company let - because I have never done one - but I would be interested to find out ....

Good luck,

Mark

There is no reason why you shouldn't be the only named landlord on the tenancy agreement. The only necessary information is an address for service, which does need to be in England or Wales.

Trenners is correct in that you would need a different form of agreement for a company let. If that is the case you could try letting the property to a named person within the company, but allowing them to sublet. This gives you a name within the company to whinge at if there is a problem; or grant a new tenancy to each and every new occupant, depending on the number and turnover.

By the way, you really have started something with your word 'Lardlord': my wife thinks that sums me up perfectly - looks like I'm on salad for May!

Archived