EPC's During the Pandemic

Carryon Regardless

Most of mine are up for renewal.

I've rung a couple of firms in N Wales and one has responded. Initially they say that EPC's aren't essential so should be deferred until this is over. They have now responded saying it's best I get some one else if I'm in a hurry. Not convinced of the deferral bit  I'm awaiting clarification from Rent Smart Wales.

I can see the 'not essential' bit and also go along with safety 1st. That being why increase risk where unnecessary? But legislation is out to get me (you decide for yourselves), and that says I neeeed them.

Has anyone any views on liddle ole England and EPC's?

I don't believe there is a problem with getting EPCs done in my part of Essex. EPC inspectors will want to be earning a living. Best done in an empty property but in any case I see no difference to any other contractor......electrician, plumber, central heating repairer etc. Provided there is social distancing, mask wearing and perhaps hand sanitiser available an EPC is no more risky than plenty of other tradesmen.

Estate & lettings agents are still open and operating......if it were me i would go ask a local agent who their go to person is for EPCs......and take it from there.

EPC  for me in January/February plus a boiler change plus an electrical consumer unit.  All booked in with no problems but the weak link will be my Son on the boiler change timings.  😃  I'm only his Dad at bottom of the customer pile.

To be fair he has got me the new boiler all ready to go but it is question of getting it on the wall. Can I also say the existing boiler has been fitted since 1986 and has been regularly serviced every year with only a new gas valve (2015) and thermocouples.

Having to change it due to the new green energy policy on condensing gas boilers and a property renovations update.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update.

Rent Smart Wales referred me to the local authority as they don't control, EPC on compliance.

Denbighshire responded the day following with a "I asked my manager" response. they will not enforce while Wales is in Level 4.

The fine in England is £200. I haven't been overly stressed  about this tbh as I'm experiencing more T's wishing to be effectively left alone. I'll consider again in the New Year (maybe even the one that starts tomorrow.

Happy New Year to all.

For those that didn't get as they wished for Xmas, have a care. Santa said the journey wasn't essential (I told the Grand kids he had covid).

I have heard they may be reducing the 10 year requirement to 5 years and I also suspect the minimum rating requirement will be raised at some time also. If so I don't have too much of a issue with that. 

As far as I know.....

* Currently minimum energy rating for rentals is band E or better.

* In Scotland from April 2022 the minimum is changing to band D or better.

* Gov' consultation taking place to reduce minimum to band C or better in England.

* Curent average in England is band D

many thanks for the replies   the EPC i have is dated 2011 so im due to get a new one soon. also it recommends replacing the boiler to a condensing one.. this should bring the rating up a level to E   

at this rate im due to start making a profit by 2023 if all goes well   

Blimey......so you are currently band F or G. What are the walls made of, cardboard ?

Decent double glazing, 12 inches of loft insulation, low energy light bulbs (halogen or led) and a condensing boiler should get you to band D at least, surely ?

1 hour ago, Richlist said:

Blimey......so you are currently band F or G. What are the walls made of, cardboard ?

Decent double glazing, 12 inches of loft insulation, low energy light bulbs (halogen or led) and a condensing boiler should get you to band D at least, surely ?

your right   i went the wrong way   it is currently D and would go up a bit into higher D..  

8 minutes ago, Richlist said:

Really ?

So spending £000's on replacing your old inefficient boiler with a bang up to date, all singing & dancing condensing boiler doesn't move you to a higher band ?

Why the hell are you spending the money ?

The present boiler is getting worn out ( pressure vessel gone) so id be happier with a new one that will cause me less hassle.  as i understand that boiler faults require 24 hour repairs   

I would have thought it was more cost effective to replace the broken part (pressure vessel) .......then perhaps you can start making a profit in 2021.

Most of us with rental property that's local keep a couple of spare heaters available which we can drop off to our tenants whilst we wait for a repair man........which doesn't happen very often.

25 minutes ago, Richlist said:

I would have thought it was more cost effective to replace the broken part (pressure vessel) .......then perhaps you can start making a profit in 2021.

Most of us with rental property that's local keep a couple of spare heaters available which we can drop off to our tenants whilst we wait for a repair man........which doesn't happen very often.

The gas engineer who did the Gas safe certificate said the boiler wasnt worth repairing as its twenty years old. it wasnt so much the heating but the hot water i was concerned about. But i will take your comments on board. Thanks  

Well I know I can be a cynic at times but.......the gas engineer would say that wouldn't he ? After all, if you accept what he says there is a chance you'll spend £000's of  pounds with him having a new boiler fitted. It's not always best to make decisions based on the comments of one person........why not get a few more estimates for repairs before making that decision ? By the way, my boiler is 31 years old and still going strong. I wouldn't dream of replacing it unless there was no other option.

That brings me to another question. Have you let this property in the past or are you preparing it for its first let ? It's important because that's what determines wether you can offset the costs of a new boiler against tax.

23 minutes ago, Richlist said:

Well I know I can be a cynic at times but.......the gas engineer would say that wouldn't he ? After all, if you accept what he says there is a chance you'll spend £000's of  pounds with him having a new boiler fitted. It's not always best to make decisions based on the comments of one person........why not get a few more estimates for repairs before making that decision ? By the way, my boiler is 31 years old and still going strong. I wouldn't dream of replacing it unless there was no other option.

That brings me to another question. Have you let this property in the past or are you preparing it for its first let ? It's important because that's what determines wether you can offset the costs of a new boiler against tax.

I've been thinking on what you said and the price of a pressure is around £70 so including fitting would come in around £200..This sounds more attractive especially with your suggestion of supplying heaters in a crisis   

Regards your second question. I bought the property without vacant posession as the sellers are waiting on their new build being completed . i agrred to let them  rent it from me until then.   once they move out (April 2021) I will be looking to find more permanent tenants..

I'm getting an education on here and I'm glad i registered. 

My Son replaces pressure vessels all the time. They are a common fault. There are far too many gas engineers around who are not prepared to fault find and replace defective parts. Yes, I agree with a very old boiler it may be beyond economical repair through it's age but the same economic scrap rule applies to your boiler as it does to your car.

I also keep 4 electric heaters for emergency breakdowns. I make this clear to my tenants that I will do everything possible to get their heating system back up and running but being a landlord is no different to being an ordinary home owning customer in as much there is always a boiler repair queue.

Ok, so the property is already let, you are receiving rent.

* You can therefore offset the cost of a new boiler/ repairs/ EPC etc against income tax.

* You can also offset the cost of replacement items such as cooker, fridge etc ......but only replacements, not the initial cost of a new item supplied for the first time.  So, for example, if you already supply a vacuum cleaner and replace it for the new tenants you can claim the cost of the new item. If you don't already supply a vacuum cleaner and decide to provide one for the first tjme for the new tenants you cannot claim the initial cost of the item.

2 hours ago, Richlist said:

Ok, so the property is already let, you are receiving rent.

* You can therefore offset the cost of a new boiler/ repairs/ EPC etc against income tax.

* You can also offset the cost of replacement items such as cooker, fridge etc ......but only replacements, not the initial cost of a new item supplied for the first time.  So, for example, if you already supply a vacuum cleaner and replace it for the new tenants you can claim the cost of the new item. If you don't already supply a vacuum cleaner and decide to provide one for the first tjme for the new tenants you cannot claim the initial cost of the item.

Thanks very much for the explanation.. i previously watched a HMRC webinar and came away with the impression that boilers were not included in tax relief. In fairness most of the people who watched the webinar,put boliers down as tax deductable..Your explanation sounds more reasonable.. I clearly have a lot to learn..

Many thanks again  

The subject is complex.

The rules are that like for like replacements can be offset against income tax. For example a basic kitchen replaced with a new basic kitchen is tax deductible but as soon as there is an element of improvement it cant. If there is improvement it can only be offset against capital gain (CGT) when the property is sold.

There are anomolies......take windows. If you replace single glazed windows with double glazed (that's all you can get now, single glazed are not available) then that's an improvement but as that's all you can get you can offset the cost against income tax.

If you replace a gas boiler with a new condensing boiler.....that's the building regs now, you can't get a like for like replacement, then the same applies.....offset against income not capital gain.....providing you don't add radiators or other extras.