Gas safety check

Suitcase

ive bought my neighbours houuse and intend to rent it out. i looked at the combi boiler worcester 24cdi and the gas supply pipe is 15mm  when i have the gas safety checks carried out,will this be a problem?  the property also has a gas range and a fluless gas fire .

regards  

......and presumably gas central heating ? Also presumably the previous owners were living quite comfortably with that set up ?

The problem might occour if there are more people/ residents living in the property so that the gas demand is higher.

Your fall back position might be:

* Remove the gas fire and cap it's supply. And

* Remove the gas cooker and replace with electric.

That's likely to be cheaper than the need to re-pipe the gas supply in 22mm or 28mm.

I thought Mel might clarify this one.

To my mind the boiler 'will' need a 22mm supply, I think to within 1 metre of the boiler and possible to inspect.

Call the gas engineer you intend to use for inspection and ask him. You might find a 'pre' inspection has value if other things are amiss.

I wouldn't recommend getting a 'pre inspection' inspection.

Be very, very careful how you phrase that question.

Surely it's not advisable to suggest or comment on the suitability of the existing gas pipe. The last thing you want to do is give the plumber an indication that you think the pipe 'might be to small'. A willing customer is almost a guaranteed job & potentially a blank cheque.

If you are told you need a bigger pipe argue your corner.......e.g.   previous owner was ok, original installation thinks 15mm pipe was satisfactory etc. Ask them to quote the part of the regulations that require a bigger pipe.

Do let us know how you get on.

Can't really comment as it would require your Gasafe person to advise you in person when you have your Landlords/Tenants Gas Safety Certificate inspection completed and signed off.

As far as I am aware the gas supply pipe should be 22mm for combi boilers. My Son is the accredited Worcester/Bosch Registered Installer.  I'm not a fan of flueless gas fires I have to say. I use to sell them 15 years ago but I was never really convinced about them as being "safe", or to put it another way I wouldn't have one in my property.

i have arranged a gas safety inspection  for the first week in January. The tenants are actually the people i bought it from and they are renting until March/ April whilst their new house is being built..

im getting gillty feelings about not having the gas safety done immediatley so i may change my mind and get it done sooner..

the fluless gas fire was fitted recenly by british gas and they have inserted a through vent in the outside wall of the room where the fire is fitted  so there should be no concerns there.

if the gas pipe needs replaced then i will wait till they move  out and get a new boiler and new supply  fitted  

thanks for your replies  

That means you will be letting the property without a gas safety certificate for 4 or 5 months. 

Gas safety certificates are a legal requirement and it's our responsibility to advise you against breaking the law.

Penalties are likely to be very costly, your insurance is likely to be invalid, you will be in breach of any mortgage conditions. Your neighbours will be very unhappy with the danger to them and their families and it's completely wrong.

Please rethink your plans.

I think as long as you have a pre booked appointment for a Landlord's certificate and by that I mean a reasonable timescale you should be OK. Don't leave it any longer than you have to. Any major gas / CO related problems causing your tenants a health problem and your  property insurance cover will be invalid without a Gasafe certificate for gas appliances as fitted to the property.

Rule No.1 of being a rental landlord in 2020/1 is cover your arse on every aspect and every likely scenario that can happen to a landlord.

i've booked the gas safe engineer for the first week in January..its the  best i can manage given the situation . ill arrange a time with the teants so hopefully it'll go ok  

thanks for your replies everyone   

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 9:43 PM, Richlist said:

I thought we had already established that a gas safety certificate would NOT be issued if a combi boiler had a 15mm gas supply pipe.

This property has a 15mm supply and has received a gas cert.

How is that possible ?

i asked the gas engieer to check the gas pipe size and he is confident that it is 22 mm.. it seems that i  may have got the pipes mixed up!. however he says we can upgrade the pipe if neccessary when we replace the boiler. also he says the flue outlet is close to an opening window which is a fail  but because the window and the boiler  is in a utility room he says the regs arent as strict and he says on the certificate that its ok to use..

He has'nt condemned anyting or told the tenant not to use anything  so I'm resonably happy.

your thoughts?

asked the gas engieer to check the gas pipe size and he is confident that it is 22 mm.. it seems that i  may have got the pipes mixed up!. however he says we can upgrade the pipe if neccessary when we replace the boiler. also he says the flue outlet is close to an opening window which is a fail  but because the window and the boiler  is in a utility room he says the regs arent as strict and he says on the certificate that its ok to use..

He has'nt condemned anyting or told the tenant not to use anything  so I'm resonably happy.

your thoughts?

Ok, many thanks for providing that update.

All these gas regs make me look forward to the days when gas boiler installations / replacements are banned. Instead we should all be moving towards installing heat pumps......all electric, no gas. Can't wait.