To dog or not to dog?

kesm

Tenant asked me if they can have a small dog for their son. 
I had a dog before and I know that the house does smell. 
Reservation I have is what happens if they leave in a year when their contract ends cause their kid will change schools, and how easy it would be for me to clean it after they go. Also the dog may chew on carpets etc and it may be considered wear and tear cause they would have been in my house for 5 years.

Advise please?

I have a tenant with a big dog. They have been with me for 4+ years now. I have a special clause in the contract regarding any damage and cleaning if and when they give notice and it was stated quite clearly at the commencement of the tenancy that special cleaning conditions would be enforced when they eventually leave and they know this to be the case.

They have had many inspections and the house is and was in immaculate condition on all inspections carried out. Perhaps I have been lucky. Normally I would never take a dog into any of my properties. I wouldn't recommend it.

If a property is suitable for pets I see no reason not to allow them however the landlord has the final say. You just treat any issues that arise in the same manner as if if was a person ie: damage, noise unsociable behaviour etc.

But anyone agreeing to a pet make sure you formalise and detail the pet allowed because a casual agreement allowing a jack Russell can easily or a suddenly become 3 Great Danes 6 months later. Or if a pet dies the tenant will automatically thinks its ok to replace without asking permission. 

Does the landlord  have to supply a dog kennel if the tenant has a dog ?

As landlords are responsible for the safety of their tenants and any visitors ......are landlords required to fit 'Beware of Dog' signs around the entrances ?

Beware if you agree to your tenant having cats instead of dogs.

If you don't go to the time, trouble and expense of fitting a cat flap then, the tenant is likely to leave a window open so cat can come and go during the day whilst they are out. With a window open and only at cat home you might get the property burgled, worse still it might get trashed.