Husband Not Providing Wife’s Details For Application

adonaghy

I’ve turned away one prospective tenant as he didn’t want his foreign girlfriend (she also had a kid - not his)  on the agreement or allow me to credit check her. A new prospective tenant - also with a foreign wife hadn’t given her details for credit referencing etc. I’m in Glasgow so know I don’t need to do ‘right to rent ‘ checks. I’m losing the will to live now and wanted some advice. Would you turn him away if he doesn’t give her details other than her name and DOB. Would you credit reference and I.d check her even though she’s a housewife?  He had a decent enough income . Call me paranoid but he showed up with his baby for viewing and his wife was too busy to come along??

If it doesn't look right then it probably isnt. It's far better to wait for the right tenant to come along than to let in haste and regret it later.

There is a shortage of good rental property almost everywhere so you won't be short of applicants. Just accept that most people will not tick all of your boxes so it's up to you to make a judgement call.......but don't be rushed into a decision. If you don't feel comfortable then dont do it.

......and don't forget......rent guarantee insurance or a home owning guarantor.

On what you have written I wouldn't take on any tenant that was not up front with the information that you have requested. Being busy is not an excuse for failing to turn up for what is basically an acceptance interview by you for your future tenants.  

Agree with the others.  I have had a bit of experience with this type of thing and I can guarantee she will be an over stayer on a tourist visa or just totally illegal.  They seem to think that having the child gives them the right to stay here and wait out 12 years or so to get some sort of Right to Remain.

Hang on in there - decent new tenants could be just around the corner!

Of course, but we can't check on a 'guest' we haven't been introduced to or given details of.

To know what periods these 'guests' may be there can be difficult to ascertain, as we don't live there.

Maybe it's just best to interview potential T's with a Border Force cap on, as a deterant.

Thats why I said it depends on circumstances.

If we were to take the op's circumstances then my opinion would be that for anyone who intends to live at the property full time, that includes the girlfriend, then the landlords responsibility is to carry out appropriate checks.

But if a tenant were to subsequently allow a possible illegal immigrant guest to stay at the property then that cannot be the responsibility of the landlord.