Rent Smart 'Wales'

Carryon Regardless

I know this affects very few here, as it relates to becoming licenced as a LL in Wales.

I've paid the tax sorry fee's and I'm doing their online course. I expect much of the content is nation relative rather than 'just' Wales.  I've considered that I am not behind with my knowledge of legislation, although I'm finding that I'm less and less enthused to update. I don't mind admitting that there are a good few eye openers within this course that tbh increase my fear of the risks we run by being LL's.

Specifically the Welsh description of HMO. Where nationally this relates to an occupation of greater than 5 people, but also of different household / family groups. The Welsh state clearly that this relates to an occupation of 5 or greater, no mention of family group.

Time ter fill me nappy. I've one house where mummy and daddy breed like rabbits and have 4 lovely kiddies. An occupation of 6 'seems' to put this in the catagory of HMO. £20k fine for not being licenced. Not that I would want to but I can't even evict until licenced. The cost of works to upgrade would be scary, doing this with family in situ wouldn't be practical.

I realised years ago that HMO properties weren't for me. Now Wales has decided that it is.

On 1/31/2020 at 1:15 PM, Carryon Regardless said:

Time ter fill me nappy. I've one house where mummy and daddy breed like rabbits and have 4 lovely kiddies. An occupation of 6 'seems' to put this in the catagory of HMO. £20k fine for not being licenced. Not that I would want to but I can't even evict until licenced. The cost of works to upgrade would be scary, doing this with family in situ wouldn't be practical.

Well, if you have to rent properties in a country that doesn't have tv, and electricity is the work of the devil  the tenants have to occupy their time somehow to keep warm.😀

• 3 weeks later...

For information,

the house of unintentional HMO cannot meet the Welsh licencing standards.

For 5 occupants, same family or not, there needs to be a separate WC. Not possible.

A shared bedroom must be at least 11m sq, 2 bedrooms not possible.

The T has informed me that one child now resides with relatives for location of college reasons.

another now resides with her boyfriend.

I have requested he provide evidence to head off any inspection / investigation.

So today I'm looking at when the S21 is taken from us. I don't see a definitive answer for England, for Wales it's already gone, it is now a 173 Notice. I've yet to understand if  / what difference there may be.

Further the Welsh ASSembly started consultation on 11 July 2019 with a view to amend a few things. Extending the notice period of the 173 from 2 months to 6 months is one part. Apparently the court proceedings following this take an average of 22 weeks. So a bady is there for 12 months or more after a LL decides enough is enough. I suggest that any smaller LL will have lost their own home by then as rents will likely cease when notice is served. And that also assumes the Court don't find fault or some defence.

Does anyone else see the fashion of the LL being increasingly fair game for all?

CoR you have my sympathy. I agree the new timing situation is totally ridiculous and will deter most people from becoming a residential landlord. On the basis of what's under consultation I wouldn't become a landlord in Wales......and I really love the place and want to move there eventually.

Let's hope the consultation falls flat on its face.

Well RL I usually view any consultation as a patronising warning. Maybe they occasionally fail although I can't think of any that have.

Even if there is a more moderate 4 months enacted it is still very dangerous. As HB claimants learn that they can enjoy the 12 months of benefit before a LL can hoof 'em I feel that many will find the temptation irresistible. The plus side is that any Bailiff will be dragging a drunk and well soiled exhuman out for the Mortgage Co as I am unlikely to be around to clean up afterwards.

I now have my licence to be a LL in Wales, time to read the conditions and understand the 173 notice. I'm feeling like my pension plan has finally been dashed on the Swelly rocks (that's the Menai Strait).