Notice from tenant

Himari

I have just received one month’s notice from tenants via letting Agency under ‘periodic tenency’ Terms. This is the first time I have let a property

and the tenant’s have been there for 3 years.  Could you please advise what I should be doing in time before they leave (27 Sept).  The Agent is askin whether 

we want to re- let but I feel I would like to change Agents as they didn’t keep to the inspection frequency as laid out in their contract and haven’t been that helpful.

I am also due to go on holiday 2 Sep for one month so will be out of the country.

Would br grateful for any advice. 

Regards Himari

The short answer is that if you are out of the country for a month you aren't gonna be around to do anything worthwhile and you should probably let your agents deal with it.

When we receive a months notice we do the following:

* Issue a moving out letter that details everything a tenant should do when they vacate.

* Arrange a preliminary viewing and discuss what the tenant needs to do when they vacate.

Then on moving day....

* take meter readings.

* Contact utilities.

* Carry out final inspection for deposit return.

* Get forwarding address.

* Obtain details of energy supplier(s)

* Ensure we get all keys and instruction books returned.

* Refund deposit based on final inspection.

*Ensure they have removed all rubbish, personal be!ongings, locked doors and windows and turned everything off.

Small point but does their contract allow for the 1 month expiry to expire on the 27th of a month. 

You may find they are liable up to a different date that allows you to inspect and close out the tenancy on your return, only a few days later anyway.