Young tenants

F-Prop

Hi All,

Not quite sure how to deal with this one, so I'll throw it open to the group...

I've been approached by a young couple wanting a property I have available. Between them they are earning enough to pass the credit check, but ones 18, and the other is 18 in July.

If I grant a tenancy, how should it be done? Should I just put it in the name of the 18 year old, or include the 17 year old too? I don't think anyone under 18 can be granted a tenancy anyway. Can I add the 17 year old in July when she turns 18... or should I just walk away!!??

Any advice??

Many thanks,

Trevor.

Had same situation some years ago - letting agent found tenant for me and signed them both onto lease which i questioned at the time - but they also had both sets of parents as gaurantors. Luckily there were no problems and they stayed for 2 years but not sure what the legal position would be if there was a problem !

Simon

The 17 year old will need a Guarantor...below legal age.

Both can go onto Tenancy agreement.

Be absolutely certain when dealing with youngsters though......make sure everything is very watertight.

Mel.

Just to firm up Mel's point, 17 yr olds cannot be tenants as they are minors in law so don't put them on tenancy agreements as a tenant. Put them on as permitted occupiers. A guarantor would effectively be underwriting everyone's obligations on the agreement if joint & several. I would get a guarantor for anyone under 21 as most problems are known to occur within this age group.

Archived