De-instruct Letting Agent

Elephant

Advice much appreciated.....

The contract my tenants signed was for a fixed 12 month period with no break clause. We have agreed independently that they are happy to go onto a periodic tenancy/rolling contract as it suits both parties. We manage the property.

The letting agent collects the rent as they did not offer a finders fee only option. I now wish to de-instruct them but have been told that I will incur extremely high 'renewal fees' even if they do nothing - no admin/paperwork and no longer collect the rent. They have said that if I keep the tenants I have to pay an ongoing renewal - which amounts to almost one months rent.

This seems like an unfair term as they are doing precisely no work for this money. I have said that when the tenants leave I am more than happy to use them again to find tenants and set etc but that we cannot pay that just because the tenants are remaining.

Any advice?

Many thanks!

Somebody with more knowledge & experience of this situation will hopefully be along shortly. In the meantime here are my thoughts.......

* You presumably have a written contract between you and the agents ? If so you should check what it says, if there is no contract you might be able to refuse to pay.

* Do you pay the agents for collecting the rent, or is that service included in the initial fee ?

* Who draws up the AST, references, legal requirements, handles deposit protection and the almost 20 or so other requirements when letting ?

* There is no requirement for you or the tenants to have a new AST after 12 months......its perfectly ok for it to go periodic and you should not let the agent bully you into accepting their requirements.

Archived