Deposit retained by DPS after stat dec sent in

I sent in a stat dec to the dps with a rent statement, the dps accepted the stat dec. The rent arrears were over and above the deposit amount of £240.00.
The dps will not pay it back because the tenant has objected to it.
The dps suggest either I take the matter to court for a judgement or try and agree things with the tenant.
The court will cost circa £300 so it is not worth it and I have no idea how to contact the tenant.
I have asked the dps for the evidence the tenant has provided to show why I should not get the deposit back. The dps replied that I should get my own legal advice - more costs to me
Anyone got any practical suggestions on how I can get my deposit back

Rent arrears are normally a matter of fact. The rent is owed or it is not.

So I suspect there is more to this story. Is there a disagreement on which was the last day of the tenancy  and when the tenant vacated????

thanks

not really a back storey to this. The tenant did a runner I found out when a council tax bill landed on my doorstep so I just calculated the rent account up to the day my council tax liability started.

The tenant owed so much rent and the deposit was not a great amount the end date for the tenancy was just a straight forward date.

I have done some more research and it appears that if the tenant objects to the stat dec the dps need to send me a summary of the tenants reply so I have the opportunity to comment on it. 

The dps have not provided me with this

thanks

Unless she has changed the tenant does not have 2 beans to rub together and I don't know where she lives so the small claims court is a good option but under the circumstances it is not one that I am likely to take.

If I can't get an agreement to pay the deposit back to me through the court or by agreement with the tenant surely the dps can not hold the deposit indefinitely?

Archived